Thirty

I sat on the steps that lead up to the house. Who do they think they are? I'm the one who feels the babies trying to murder me. 

I heard the door open and slam. Sodapop sat by me. "You know they were just trying to help." He said as he slung his arms around me. "Yeah, but I'm the one in pain. When I'm getting contractions, I just want nobody to talk to me, and I want you and Evie right by my side." I said as I rested my head on his shoulder. 

"How did it feel?" Sodapop asked. "The contraction?" I said, to which Sodapop nodded his head. "It felt like my uterus, intestines, and cervix were all being twisted around on a blade," I said as I put my hands on my bump. 

I felt Sodapop's face scrunch up. "Dang." He said, "why don't we head to the store?" I nodded my head, "okay"

I walked to my car with keys in hand as Sodapop went to go tell the gang to come on. Evie, Johnny, and Ponyboy rode with Sodapop and me, while Steve, Two-bit, Dallas, and Laney went with Darry. 

"What do we get first?" Two-bit says. We had agreed in the parking lot that everyone would be in groups of two and get two things on the list. "Two, you and Laney get potatoes and canned corn." Sodapop explained. 

Johnny and Ponyboy were searching together, Steve and Evie were partners, and Dallas and Darry. 

"Okay Sodapop, we need to find the milk and A1 sauce," I said as I slung my purse over my shoulder. "Ma'am, yes ma'am!" Soda said, saluting me. I rolled my eyes, "shut up and come on." I joked. 

I reached for the red top milk and got a horrible pain, like the one before, making me scream loudly and drop the milk onto the aisle floor. "Are you okay?" Sodapop asked, my eyes were full of pain and worry. 

"Soda, we need to go. I think that was a real contraction." I yelled. Sodapop's eyes widened. "O-okay! Let me go tell someone from the gang-" Sodapop was cut off by Evie and Steve running down the aisle at us. 

"We heard you scream, I instantly knew it was you," Evie exclaimed. "Are in going into labor?" Steve asked. I shrugged as I tried to catch my breath. 

"Well, my water hasn't broken yet, and my due date is still two weeks away!" I yelled panicked. "Sydney, let's go to the hospital." Someone said from behind me. 

The gang had gathered, and Dallas had said that. I felt a gush of liquid fall down my legs. It felt like I had peed myself. "There goes my water," I say as we run out of the store, and begin heading to the hospital. 

"Sodapop, this really hurts, and I think you need to drive faster," I yelled as Soda drove down the highway. "I'm trying! I'm sorry you're hurting but I can't get pulled over." Sodapop said as he nodded frantically. 

"Hold my hand, Sydney," Evie said as she reached from behind the console. I held tight onto her hand, and whenever I felt any pain, I squeezed. 

Soda finally pulled into the hospital and the gang and I ran inside. "My sister's having a baby!" Dallas yelled, gaining the attention of the desk worker. "Just breathe, Sydney. In and out." Evie coached me. 

I was taken into the delivery room, and I had Sodapop, Evie, and Dallas right by me. "I'm sorry, but only two people are allowed in here with the mother, just to keep the new mother comfortable." A nurse said as she stuck a needle in my arm, for vitals. 

"Nurse, all of them will be staying in here because they make me comfortable! If you won't respect that, get me a new fucking nurse!" I yelled. The nurse looked at me wide-eyed and Dr. Burnham walked past her. 

"Miss. Sydney can have as many people in here as she wants to." The doctor said, giving me a smile. I nodded my head and squeezed Sodapop and Evie's hands as another contraction came.