Five

True to his word, Steve picked me up at around 2:00 pm.

"Hello, my lovely girlfriend." Steve joked as I shut the door to his truck. "Don't ever say that again." I laughed.

Steve rolled his eyes and began to drive to the Curtis house. Everybody would be there, besides Dallas. I don't have a clue where he is.

I couldn't help but feel nervous on the way there. Steve noticed. "Chill out, Sydney. It's not like we're actually dating." Steve said, trying to console me. But for some reason it made me feel worse. I'm lying to the whole gang. Even worse I'm lying to get the attention of Sodapop.

"Okay, shouldn't have said anything," Steve said as we pulled into the driveway of the Curtis house.

Steve opened the screen door to reveal everybody sitting down in the living room, most of them eating cake. And to my dismay Sodapop's arm was snaked around Sandy, sitting on the couch. "What the fuck." I mumbled.

Steve put a comforting hand on my lower back to show affection. Hoping it would catch the attention of Sodapop, I pulled him in for a kiss. Just on the cheek though, I'm not going that far.

I could feel Sodapop burning holes into my head as I went to the kitchen to get beers for me and Steve.

I sat my Steve and he wrapped his arm around me, mocking how Sodapop was doing to Sandy. Man, Steve knew how to make Soda angry.

"Steve, can I talk to you?" Soda said, standing up. "Yeah, man," Steve said, then he followed Soda into the kitchen.

"What was that about?" Two-bit asked as I took a sip of beer. "What was what about?" I asked with a smirk. "You and Steve?" He said, his eyes popping out of his head.

"Well, he bailed me out of jail yesterday after I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and one thing lead to another..." I trailed off. I mean I wasn't totally lying.

"Oh my god," Two-bit said like a gossiping girl. Sandy's eyeballs were gauging out of her head. I really wanted to just pluck her stupid hazel eyes out.

I heard Sodapop raising his voice at Steve, making me walk into the kitchen. "Why the hell would you go out with Sydney?" Sodapop said, trying to suppress a yell. "Why the hell would you cheat on her?" Steve said, in the same tone Soda was talking in.

"Sandy was just here! I just missed her. I didn't mean for Sydney to see. I wanted Sandy gone before Sydney got here, but she really wanted to talk to me." Sodapop practically yelled. "What did she so desperately want to talk about that you ditched the prettiest girl for?" Steve asked.

"Hell, I didn't even ditch her! Sandy only wanted to say she missed me. The only reason I'm with her now is so I can distract myself from Sydney."

My eyes widened and I walked back to the living room. "I'm gonna go. Seems pretty heated in there." I joked, backing out of the house. I didn't know where I was going to go. Maybe the Dingo.

I opened the door to the Dingo, the bell ringing at my entrance. I sat down at a booth across from this lady and her kid. A waiter came over and asked what I wanted.

"I'll just have some water. I don't want anything else, thank you." The waiter nodded and walked away, coming back a few minutes later with my water.

What the fuck have I gotten myself into with Steve and Sodapop. Soda's just with Sandy as a distraction? Then why couldn't he come to apologize to me when I wanted him to come to me.

Well, at least the rest of the gang didn't really comment about it. I think Steve might've told them, just so they don't get the totally wrong idea. Hell, they might've thought Steve was plotting something like this all along.

Waiting for me and Sodapop could fight so he could steal me away. That's funny.

Really what I can't believe is that I've known them since I was little. We were all friends. Me, Sodapop, and Steve. Sometimes Two-bit or Ponyboy would drag along. Steve would always get mad at Ponyboy for taking one of our places when someone couldn't hang out.

Steve used to say we'd be friends forever. We all did. Now I just had to go and fuck it up because I liked one of my best friends.

"This'll be something," I mumbled as I slurped my water.