Twenty-Six

I parked in the lot, where Dallas was in Buck's truck. "Hey, Dal," I said happily. "Hey, pothead." Dally teased. "You can't call me pothead anymore. I can't smoke anymore, I have two termites growing in me." I stuck my tongue out. Dally rolled his eyes.

"Do you want me to give you the damn surprise or what?" Dally said. "Yes!" I said. 

"So when Mom came here, she had put nearly $2,000 in buying a house, but the house landlord decided he didn't want to put it up for rent anymore, but he wanted to sell it, and Mom didn't want to buy a house. Well, the landlord kept the money on in for the future in case mom changed her mind. Before she went missing she had added $4,000 to it. Since there were only a couple thousand dollars left before she could buy it, I bought it. Sydney, I got you and Soda your first house." Dally explained. 

I did a mix of scoff and a gasp to explain my surprise. "Dallas, you did not!" I laughed. "Oh, I did. Sodapop chipped in about a thousand too." Dally said and flipped me the keys. "Dallas!" I yelled, running to hug him. "Dal, I don't think you know how much I fucking love you," I said, crying into his shoulder. 

"Woah, why are you crying?" Dally said a concerned expression on his face. "Pregnancy hormones," I mumbled into his shirt. "Go to your new house," Dally said, pushing me into the passenger seat. "Why can't I drive?" I said. "Sodapop knows where he's going. Remember, Soda, 522 East Ridge." Dallas said, and Soda nodded. 

Sodapop sped off and before I knew it, I was standing in front of a sage green house with a red door and a bay window. "Holy fuck, Sodapop! It has a bay window!" I explained while going to unlock the door. 

As I swung the door open I was met by the smell of a newly lit cigarette and roses. It was an odd combination, but it felt perfect. 

The door leads to a foyer, "I thought only big houses had a foyer?" I questioned. There was a picture of the gang above the front door, we were all smiling. It was last night when Soda asked me to marry him. 

I was kissing Sodapop, the camera was positioned in the corner, but everybody was in it. They had to of had somebody take the picture, maybe Buck? 

The foyer leads to the living room, there was a nice long black couch positioned in front of a coffee table and a t.v. A soft rug underneath. I looked behind me and there was a round dining table. It had fake roses and daisies in the middle. 

Walking behind the dining table was the kitchen. It had nice appliances and a big fake hanging plant from the corner shelf. On the shelf, there were a couple of books. Some books I had read or wanted to read. There was a phone near the light switch

I walked out of the kitchen and into the little foyer again where a door was opened. It entered into a bedroom that had a size full bed. The bedroom had a bathroom that had a bathtub, sink, and toilet. 

I went back to the foyer and there was a small closeted area that held a washer and dryer. 

Closing the doors of the washer and dryer, there was a staircase by the door. I walked up the stairs and walked into the master bedroom. 

It had a king-size bed that had a nice blue covering and pillows. A bathroom was on the left side of the bed. It had a clear shower door complete with marble walls. And of course a toilet and sink. Straight across the bed were two baby cribs. They fit perfectly. 

I walked across the hall from the master room into another small bedroom, which had been turned into a nursery. The bedroom had off-white walls and a soft rug on the floor. It had a baby monitor in the corner of the room and two empty spaces where we would eventually move the cribs to. It had a diaper station and some baby toys.