Twenty-Five

As we drove to the waterfall, Sodapop was blaring Kiss, Bon Jovi, Prince, The Beatles, and even ABBA and Blondie.

"I'm determined to make these kids come out singing." Sodapop joked. "Well if you keep playing 'Livin' on a Prayer' and 'Heart of Glass' and fucking every song ABBA has ever made, they might!" I said, rubbing my pregnancy bump.

"That's my goal." Soda said as we sped down the highway. "Soda, please turn down the volume of Mamma Mia like... five notches," I begged, "I'm getting a headache." I laughed.

"Fine, but only if you kiss me," Sodapop said at a stoplight. I rolled my eyes and kissed him on the cheek. "No, I'm going to need more than that." Sodapop sighed. I grabbed his jaw and kissed him hard. "Now will you turn it down?" I asked. Soda nodded his head laughing and turned down the music.

"Remind me again, why are we going to the waterfall?" I asked. "It's a surprise, duh." Soda rolled his eyes. "You're so dramatic." I laughed.

As we turned left, My Best Friend's Girl came on. Soda gasped loudly. "Here she comes again! When she's dancing 'neath the starry sky, I kinda like the way, I like the way she dips! 'Cause, she's my best friend's girl. She's my best friend's girl, she used to be mine! She's so fine. My best friend's girlfriend!" Sodapop sang very loudly.

"That's how I felt when you and Steve were dating," Sodapop admitted, keeping his vision on the road.

"Well, you know Steve and me were only fake dating. I asked if he would 'date' me because when I saw you with Sandy that day after school, my heart shattered. And when Steve picked me up from Jail that same night, I thought it would be a good idea. Maybe to get your attention, or make you feel like you had totally lost me. Then at your house the next day when you and Steve started fighting, it made me feel horrible. I felt I was tearing our friendships apart, so I broke off Steve and I's relationship the next day."

"Honestly, Sydney. I'm glad you did date Steve. If you hadn't I might not have realized that I don't like the way you look with other guys, but I want you to be with me. I want to be seen by all the judgemental girls with you by my side. I want to wake up to you, not just in a family type of way, but I want to know that you're my girlfriend."

I started to cry at what Sodapop had said. "Fuck hormones," I said, making us both laugh. "Sodapop, I just want you to know that I fucking love you. I love you so fucking much. I can't wait to raise a little family with you." I cried.

We had stopped the car by the waterfall and the lake. "Sydney, stay in the car for a second. I need to do something." Sodapop said. He ran out of the car and walked the short distance to the waterfall.

Sodapop walked underneath the waterfall and came running back out to me. As I got out of the car, ABBA's 1976 song, 'Dancing Queen' began to play. "Sodapop, I love this song. It's so cute and romantic." I giggled. I could hear it blaring as I dipped underneath the waterfall, water getting all over my clothes.

"Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for a place to go
Where they play the right music, getting in the swing" ABBA sang.

You come to look for a kingThe whole gang including Evie was standing in the little cave under the waterfall. They were all holding up one big sign. Sodapop ran to get in front of them getting down on his knee. "Will You Marry Me, Sydney?" I read off the sign.

I looked at Sodapop who had a ring box in his hand. "Well?" Soda questioned, a nervous look in his eyes. My heart melted, "Soda..." I said, trailing off. Sodapop stood up. "Is that a no?" Soda had a sad look on his face. I smiled as I ran up to kiss him. "It's a yes!" I claimed. The whole gang behind me and Soda started to cheer.

"You are the dancing queen

Young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing queen
Feel the beat from the tambourine, oh yeah
You can dance, you can jive
Having the time of your life
Ooh, see that girl, watch that scene

Digging the dancing queen." ABBA sang from behind us.

I wrapped my hands around Sodapop's neck and he spun me around while I kissed him. "Give me your hand, Sydney," Sodapop said. I stuck out my hand, and Sodapop placed a small golden band with a little diamond in the middle. "It's small, but it's all I could afford," Sodapop said embarrassed. "Honey, it's perfect, you couldn't have gotten a better one."

"Sydney, love is not perfect and it doesn't always come easy. Love is overcoming obstacles, facing problems, righting to be together, and holding on and never letting go. Love is a short word, easy to spell, hard to define, and impossible to live without. Most of all, love is realizing every hour, minute, and second or it was all worth it because we did it together. Sydney, I didn't ever fall in love with you, I walked into. I walked into it with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we choose anyway. I'd choose you in a million lifetimes, in a million worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you. Sydney Ivory Lynn Winston, soon to be Curtis, I love you so much." Sodapop said while tearing up.

I started to cry too, "Damn you, Sodapop! You're making me cry again." I said, wiping away tears.

"Sodapop Patrick Curtis. I can't wait to spend every moment with you, from now, until we have our babies, until we get married, possibly have more kids, and grow old together. I would pick you in every reality, world, and life, too. Sodapop, you make me feel complete. You know how to lift my spirits and my mood instantly brightens whenever I see you. You fill a void I never knew was there, and now that I know it's filled, I'm happier than ever. You loved me at my all-time low, and at the highest points in my life, like right now. I love you always and forever. I truly believe we are Soulmates. " I cried.

Throughout talking, I didn't ever let go of Sodapop. I didn't stop touching him until we got into my blue Camaro. "I'm driving," I said, hopping into the front seat. "Dallas says he wants us to go to the lot tomorrow morning, he has another surprise, partly for your birthday, but also partly for our future." Soda explained, I nodded my head.

"You're a teaser, you turn 'em on

Leave 'em burning and then you're gone
Looking out for another, anyone will do
You're in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance" I sang along with ABBA. "This is our song," Sodapop said.