Introduction (& BEDMAS)

Ok, this one-shot series has been complete for years now. But I still love going over all the wonderful – and even not so wonderful – comments that people leave amidst my less than marvelous writing.

It's incredible that there are still new people reading this from when I first published it 7 years ago.

One of my favourite comment threads in the entire series is from the very first one-shot, Helen Kingsley, when the character curses about BEDMAS during her math test.

Goodness, the comments I got about BEDMAS.

To clear up all of everyone's many questions about that chapter, I'm Canadian. I grew up in school learning BEDMAS (Brackets Exponents Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction). It's what's mostly taught here.

However, this thread opened my eyes to the crazy number of other things people call it. So, I went through all the comments over the past 7 years (!!) and this is what I learned:

PEMDAS – used in USA

BIDMAS – used in UK, and Australia

BIMDAS – used in Ireland

BODMAS – used in India, South Africa, and UK

PEDMAS – used in USA, and Canada (apparently someone grew up in a very different region from me)

BEDMAS – used in Canada, and UK

A lot of people also mentioned GEMDAS / GsEMDAS but unfortunately not where they're from! If anyone would like to add what they call this order of operations and where they're from, please do so right HERE

Thanks :)

Another thing I would like to slip in. I was 13 and in grade 7 when I wrote this series. Therefore, the writing is not great and the math is very, very easy for a high school senior, it's true. Also, the answer is -21403 (so funny how many different answers were given).

I'm quite embarrassed by my early writing, but I've left this series up, unedited, over the years because I just love all the comments (especially in the Piper McLean, Brason one-shot lol – I remember having a lot of fun writing that – and each time I accidentally wrote McSizzle instead of McShizzle).

I also have been so very happy to help provide an outlet for others around the world during the pandemic. I know it's been hard and that it's still hard. I hope you have all been taking care of yourselves.

I wish you all the best and hope that you'll enjoy and have enjoyed the many, many stories I've created around these lovely characters. And please, if you have any more BEDMAS equivalents, I'd love some more.

For the last time,

omgitshappenning 😜

25/06/22