Helen Kingsley

Cliché Percy at Goode (Ignore the comments, her last name used to be Keller but I changed it.)

Math class sucks. Over my experiences I've come to embarrass this fact. To make matters worse it's Test Day. I know. Our teacher has a day devoted to tests. Why???? I turn to my right to make a snide comment to my best friend about Mr. Derby's teaching skills, when I remember he's not here.

Okay... I should back up a bit. First off, hey I'm Helen Kingsley, nice to meet you. Second, I go to Goode high school. Third, I have four really close friends, Gem, Kendra, Jace and Percy. Except now I'm kind of down to three friends. I last saw Percy sophomore year. I am now a senior, that should tell you something.

Anyways, back to reality. When I realize Percy's not sitting beside me anymore I slump in my chair and smack my gum loudly. The one pro of Mr. Derby's Test Days; he lets you chew gum. Apparently it helps your brain process stuff better or something. I don't really pay attention in science class either.

I stare blankly at the first question. It's the easiest: -245x87-(64\8)x4-56=...? What the hell does it all mean? Stupid BEDMAS. Stupid INTERGERS. I huff and the PA system beeps, telling everyone an announcement's coming on.

"Helen Kingsley. Please report to the main office. Helen Kingsley." And even though we're in grade 12, I can still hear all the "oooh"s and "Kingsley's in trouble"s. I roll my eyes. Will these people ever mature? But secretly I'm in fear as well. I've never been called down to the principal's office, like ever. Well except for that one time two years ago that Percy made me help him fill Coach's water bottle with pure lemon juice so Coach couldn't yell at all the whole day and it got caught on tape. But I've never really counted that one.

So with my face heating up, I stand straight and hand in my test to Mr. Derby at the front. "Sorry sir, I wasn't able to finish my test." And then I walk out before he can propose a time for me to finish it.

When I exit the classroom my shoulders slump and my blank mask of red slips off. What am I being called down for? I feel my breaths increase. Oh no, Helen, I tell myself. Breathe, girl, breathe. You can't be in trouble. You haven't done anything wrong.

Then I can't help it. I start listing all the wrong things I did this week, in my mind. I finally settle on the fact that somehow the principal had found out that I'd punched my brother (a freshman at Goode) and given him a bloody nose yesterday. But I don't know what they would hold against me. We'd even been at home for Pete's sake.

Well, whatever loop hole they found, I must be prepared to defend myself. That thought passes through my head literally the second I walk over the threshold of the principal's office.

That happened way too fast. "Look, I can explain..." I trail off when I get a better look at the person beside the principal.

"Percy?" I gasp. He's taller, and totally hotter, but it's definitely Percy Jackson. The only person I'd never been able to keep in touch with.

"Helen!" He hugs me. I lightly slap him on the shoulder.

"Why are you here?"

"New student. Hey are you my guide?"

I look at the Mr. Rose - the principal. He nods.

"Apparently." I sigh in relief when I realize that my punch is still between me and my brother.

We walk into the hallway. "Can I see your schedule?" I ask. But it's only a formality. I snatch it out of his hands before he can say a word. I then proceed to ignore his mumbling.

"Cool, you've got the same locker as a couple years ago. And you've also got English second period. Me and Jace are in that class." I pause and realize there's a much bigger question I have to ask him.