Sally Jackson

Read & Love

She's crying again. I sigh and fling the covers off my legs. Bending over I kiss Paul on his cheek, making him grumble. Smiling, even though the last thing I want to do is get up, I stand, throwing a bathrobe over myself and walking out into the hallway. I blearily open the door of the room across the hall, the crying almost deafening now.

"Hey, baby girl," I coo, leaning over the side of the crib. I wrap my arms around the baby and snuggle her into my chest.

Her cheeks are streaked with tears, and her eyes scrunched into little slits. "Mommy's here. It's okay now. You're okay, Mommy's here." I repeat the same words over and over in different forms to my little daughter.

I remember Percy at this age. He'd laugh and giggle for hours, all day long. And then at night, all of the sudden he'd be crying and whaling. Not as much as the cutie in my arms right now, but enough to keep me a very sleep deprived woman.

I pace around the room, whispering sweet nothings into my daughter's ear and jiggling her. "It's okay, Grace. Mommy's here."

It's no use, though. She keeps wailing defiantly. I whisper and coo, tickle her neck and check her empty diaper. Nothing works.

Finally a shadow appears in the doorway and crosses over to me.

"Percy, I'm so sorry she's keeping you guys up—" I start.

"Mom, give me Grace." Percy raises his arms to me. "You've been up all night for the past week with her. Let me try for a while."

Not too sure, but the lull of sleep too overwhelming, I hand him his sister. He takes her readily and comfortably.

"Hey, little sis. It's me, Percy." My son's voice switches from deep to a lighter, softer pitch as he talks to my little Grace. "Now you have to stop keeping Mommy up all night, okay? Come on Gracey, you don't have to cry." He rocks her back and forth in his arms and paces around the room, walking in large circles and jiggling her.

That's when I notice another shadow appearing in the doorway. I smile sadly, walking closer to her and leaving the cute moment between my children. "Did she wake you up again too? I'm so sorry, Annabeth."

The blond just waves me off. "It's fine, Sally. Really. And plus, it was Percy who woke me up."

I smile tiredly. "Your boyfriend's doing wonderfully as a big brother by the way."

Even in the darkness I can see her blush. "It's adorable really."

"That it is," I agree.

"It kind of just makes me love him more," Annabeth confesses.

"I guessed. Percy tends to say the same sort of things," I confide.

She blushes again. I smile in amusement. Maybe I'm being a bad mother, but it's funny to see Percy and Annabeth squirm when I bring Percabeth up. Especially Percy.

Speaking of Percy... I startle when I realize that the crying has stopped, replaced by the soft lull of song.

"Twinkle, twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are..."

I look to see Percy standing by the crib, baby cradled in his huge arms, singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. One of Grace's small hands is reaching upwards and tugging at Percy's lower lip, and then honking his nose, all the while he doesn't stop singing. I can feel my heart melting at the sight of the two of them together. I look over at Annabeth to gouge her reaction and it seems like her heart's already melted.

She's smiling and blushing. Her eyes are big, round, saucers. Her arms are wrapped around her mid section as if giving herself a hug.

I watch as Percy lowers Grace into her crib. "Now go to sleep. Night, night, Gracey. Sweet dreams." Leaning over the side he plants a firm kiss on Grace's forehead and now I think both Annabeth and I are going to die from cuteness attacks.

As Percy starts to make his way back over to us, Annabeth can't seem to contain herself any longer, and leaps into his arms.

I smile at the couple wrapped in each other's embrace. With Grace now quiet, I slowly back out of the room, shutting the door soundly behind me, knowing that they'll go to sleep in a few minutes or so. Tiptoeing into my bedroom, I slide back under the covers, ready for my first goodnight sleep in weeks.

Omgs!!! I updated again!!!!! I just thought of this idea, thought it was adorable and had to write it. Other people have probably written stuff like these...well whateves, I like this.

Anywho, if you loved please vote and I always love comments. I may not reply to them all, sorry, but I do my best to read em all. Sometimes wattpad is screwy and doesn't send me a notification though, which sucks. Anyways, keep on keeping on
~omgitshappenning 😜