The Thought of You

Eddie's POV

It's been ten minutes with no communication from the hospital staff and I'm freaking out. I don't care that I'm covered in dirt and blood, but I do care about the fact that I have no idea if (Y/N) is dead or alive. 

I've been sitting and standing up, almost like it was a new routine of mine, from how anxious I was. I couldn't sit still from the nerves. My hair was exhausted from my hands running through it, messing it's look up even more. The new knots that sat in my hair were pleads - begging me to stop it's endless suffering. 

"Eddie, please, man, you have to sit down. You're stressing everyone out even more." Steve groaned as he looked up at me from his hands. He had been like me, but instead of constantly walking around, his leg was bouncing a lot. Steve would occasionally sit back in his chair to act calm and collected, but I knew he was feeling the same way I was. 

"I can't sit. I need someone to come out here and tell us if she is fine." I firmly told him. Even if I tried to sit, my body would throw me back up into the rotation. 

"So, by walking around, you think someone is going to come up to us quicker to tell us what's happening?" Lucas asked with sarcasm. His eyebrow lifted high on his face as he waited for my answer. 

"Listen here, you little shi-" 

"Eddie." Dustin warned me before I could finish. I rolled my eyes and huffed before slamming my ass on the seat. My arms crossed over my body as I mumbled under my breath about how irritated I was. 

"Eddie, why don't you go home and shower? We can all take shifts so that if (Y/N) wakes up, then someone will be here to call you." Nancy told me in a very calm voice. Her voice soothed me, until her choice of words struck me right in the chest. 

"When." I said, a little too aggressively, and looking down at my bouncing knee. 

"What?" Nancy questioned back, confused on what I meant. 

"When (Y/N) wakes up, not if." I was now looking up into her eyes as she sat across from me with a broken look. 

"I didn't mean it that way-" Nancy started, but I soon caught her off, not wanting to hear the bullshit. 

"I know exactly what you meant, Wheeler. So, how about you take the first shift of going home and I'll keep my happy little ass glued to this uncomfortable seat until (Y/N) wakes up. Then she'll have someone who believed in her to wake up to." I let my aggression get the best of me. Nancy sat across from me with wide eyes, tearing up from my words. I instantly felt terrible for being an asshole. 

"Woah, that was uncalled for, Munson. I know you're stressed out, but so is everyone else, so have a little more respect for those around you." Steve warned me as he sat up straight, looking like he was ready to pounce on me the next time I disrespected Nancy. 

"It's fine, Steve. I'll just go home and take the first shift." Nancy stood up and went to walk away with Robin, but I grabbed her arm and pulled her back. 

"I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to be a jerk. Harrington is right, I'm not thinking about everyone else's feelings, I'm sorry." I apologized in the most sincere way that I could. I hated admitting that Steve was right, but I wasn't going to deny it - I don't have enough energy for it. Nancy gave me a small smile in return before convincing Max and Juliet to go along with her and Robin. 

I sighed and rested my head on the wall behind me, trying to calm the mix of negative emotions that swarmed around in my body. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths as I thought about (Y/N)'s beautiful smile and her contagious laughter. 

"Eddie." The voice sounded distant. "Eddie, wake up." I felt my shoulders jiggle as I opened my eyes and almost buttheaded the person that shook me awake.