18 candles

Sign that the summer is coming to an end.

This is it.

Goodbye, childhood.

I'm now a legal adult!

I opened my eyes quickly as the realisation hit me. I looked at the clock. It was only 10. Usually, I woke up around 12. I slipped off my bed and closed the window since warm air was coming in. I opened the door and walked through the dining room and living room to the kitchen. I could see that no one was still awake.

The sun was shining brightly while I lay on a blanket on the grass. I was reading a good local crime novel. It was so hot in the sun that I could feel sweat dripping down my legs. I wanted to just be with myself and nature for a while before all this birthday buzzing. Suddenly I got a message on my phone which startled me.

from Rob: Happy birthday!!

My heart filled with joy when I saw the message. He was the first one to celebrate me. Every year I wait for a text from my father wishing me a happy birthday. Usually, he would never send that or then he would send it on the wrong day. I also got another message:

From Granny: Hi!❤️ Happy birthday! :)❤️❤️❤️❤️

It made me smile when I saw the message. It's funny in my opinion how much she uses emojis.

After maybe half an hour, Mila came out of the main house and started to scream when she saw me. I got so scared that I threw my book away. I was relieved when I saw that it was just her. She ran up to me in a white cute dress with a huge smile across her face. "Happy birthday cousin!" she screamed and jumped to hug me. I couldn't help but laugh loudly and say "Thank you".

When we let go of each other she sat next to me and handed me a gift. "This is from our whole family," she told me and gave me a letter case. I nodded. "And this...is from me," she said and bit down her lip. I could tell because of that that she was nervous. I opened the letter case from her whole family. It was a flower card that said "Happy birthday to dear Love! ❤️: Mila, Sarah, and Samuel. "Aw, thank you," I told as I looked at the card. I looked at the case and saw a gift card. "To Zara!" I smiled and looked at the gift card. Mila laughed excitedly. "Thank you," I said and hugged her. "You're welcome, now open the other one!" she clapped her hands excitedly. I opened it carefully and noticed that it was a letter. It went like this:

"Dear Love,

Do you remember when you were around 5 and I was around 4 and we jumped on the trampoline at Granny's? Then I fell and you thought it was funny so you fell too. No longer was the trampoline for jumping, it was for falling.

Also, do you remember the times we spied on everyone? Once we broke into a car and stole sunglasses that made us look like we were in Men in Black.

My point is that...you're my soul sister. I couldn't imagine a life without you. I know it would be more boring and less funny. You're my sister and you always support me and have my back. You're like the sister I never had. We got each other. We have this one-of-a-kind relationship and I'm so grateful for it. We have been through hell together but we also survived it together. I'll always support you no matter what. I'll support you and Dominic muhahaha. I'm always here for you. I love you with all of my heart. Even this letter can't express how much I love you. Have the best birthday with the people you love!

❤️: your other half"

I was crying when I finished it. I immediately hugged her. "I love you too," I told. She started to cry too which made both of us laugh. "Thank you" I whispered and looked at her through my tears. She hugged me again and said, "Let's go eat".