|35|

thirty five
____________________

Stiles opened the door of the jeep for her when they got there. She jumped out and fixed her dress slightly.

She noticed Lydia and her date walking towards them and she waved them over. She didn't know who her date was but she smiled at him anyway.

"You look amazing, Lyds," Brie gave her a hug.

"Says the model, I knew that dress was perfect for you," Lydia said back.

Allison and Jackson came up to join them.

"Jackson," Lydia greeted. "You look handsome."

"Obviously," he obnoxiously said back. "It's Hugo Boss."

"You look gorgeous, Allison," Brie called after the girl.

She smiled back at her, "You too, Brie."

"I don't care," Lydia said to herself as they walked away. "I don't want compliments. I will not fall pray to society's desire to turn girls into emotionally insecure neurotics who pull out their dresses at the first flattering remark."

Brie nudged Stiles, silently telling him to say something.

Stiles understood. "Well, I think you look beautiful."

Lydia smiled. An actual smile. "Really?"

He nodded and she turned back to her date. Stiles held up his arm for Brie to hold. She took it with pleasure.

"Such a gentleman," she teased.

"Of course, m'lady," he said, putting on a thick english accent.

Brie laughed and the two began to walk up to the building. Brie saw something out of the top of her eye. Scott was on top of the building.

"Look," she pointed up with her eyes to where she could see Scott. "That is dedication right there."

"Love makes you crazy," Stiles replied with a laugh.

They finally made it into where the party was being held. The gym had crazy decorations, loud music, lights, games, etc.

A band was playing and people were dancing everywhere.

Stiles and Brie were sitting with Lydia and her date at one of the back tables. Lydia didn't want to dance so they all sat with her.

Stiles finally got too bored. "Um, Brie? Do you wanna dance?" he asked nervously.

Brie smiled and got up, holding out his hand for him. "Let's have fun."

She didn't even think about how she left Lydia, she wanted to enjoy her night.

They joined the large group of people dancing. They face each other and moved to the beat. Brie spent most of the time laughing at Stiles ridiculous moves. Stiles was smiling because she was laughing.

She looked over and saw how sad Lydia looked.

"Give me a second, Stiles," she excused herself.

She walked over to her best friend.

"You want to dance?" she asked, holding out a hand on invitation.

"Pass."

"You know what? Let me try that again," Brie went on and took a step closer. "Lydia, get off your cute little ass and dance with us now."

"Interesting tactic," Lydia pretended to think. "I'm gonna stick with no."

"Lydia, get up, okay?" Brie demanded. "You look miserable over here. You have been my best friend since forever. And I know that somewhere, inside that cold, lifeless exterior there's an actual human soul."