Race Against Time

Frigga quickly pulled me over to Loki's side opposite the head healer, Eir, who was busy removing his armor. The wound was deep and was a horrible black color which I assumed was because of the poison.

Frigga turned me to face her "We need to work quickly to keep the poison from continuing to spread throughout his system. Eir has given him an antidote, but it's struggling to keep up. If we work together we just might be able to reverse its effects."

"I don't know how though, I've never done anything like this before..."

"Your body knows how, you just have to trust it. Feel for the substance that is foreign to the body and then focus in on it. Once you've sensed it, you'll be able to start to draw it out. I won't lie to you, it's going to be very draining for the both of us. We will switch on and off as necessary."

I nodded to her and put my hands on either side of Loki's wound, it would be easier if I had a physical connection. My hands started glowing their usual gold and I could sense the usual - his heartbeat which was unusually slow, the blood coursing through his veins, then I sensed a substance that felt...wrong. This must've been what Frigga was referring to so I focused on it and started pulling it towards the surface. Whatever it was was fighting back, it did not want to be removed. I don't know how long I stood there before I felt hands over my own and felt Frigga gently pushing me out of the way. Eir came to my side and gently sat me down in a chair next to Loki's bedside, opposite of Frigga.

I sat there holding his hand while I watched Frigga and Eir work. Frigga had her eyes closed and was doing what I had done previously while Eir was continually cleaning the wound and applying new dressings. I brushed some hair out of Loki's face and tried not to think about how still he was. I felt my body recharging as I sat there. I felt tired, but my magic was replenishing. Two hours passed before Frigga started to waver and I relieved her. We kept this up, switching on and off for hours before Eir told us both to sit down. I looked up at her with concern so she smiled softly at me.

"You've done all you can, child, the poison is out of his system. Now, we wait and see what damage was done." She redid his dressing and turned to both Frigga and I "I'm not going to lie, we've still got a tough road ahead of us. The poison is no longer spreading, but it already did a number on his system. I had put him in a medically induced coma while you worked, I'll need to wake him up to know how bad it really is."

I looked to Loki before looking back to Eir "I need you to be honest with me. Do you think he's going to make it?"

She sighed "I can not say for certain right now. I'm sorry, I know that's not the answer that you want, but that's where we're at right now. I-I would recommend bringing the children to see him before he wakes up."

I blinked away the tears that had formed in my eyes and got up, heading back towards my room. Thor was waiting at the entrance of the family wing and ran over to me.

"Sister, how is he?"

"I-He's..." I sighed "It's not good, Thor. Eir suggested I bring the kids to see him"

Thor looked crushed by this "She wants them to say goodbye? Is there truly no hope?"

I shook my head "I think she just wants them to have the chance in case things go south. It'll be easier for them to see him like this than if...if..." I couldn't bring myself to finish the sentence.

"I understand. Would you like me to go with you?"

"Yes, please, I'd appreciate that. Thank you"

He nodded and walked to my room with me. We opened the door to see the kids sitting on the couch with Rose, but they both quickly ran over when they saw me. Nari got to me first and held me tightly while Freya slowly made her way to my other side. I rubbed his back and kissed both of their heads before pulling back to look at them.