Who Are You?

If someone were to tell me a few weeks ago that I would end up at the Avengers tower I would've laughed right in their face. Now...I'm still working on believing that it's all true. From what I've been told, I was a HYDRA experiment for most of my life, living in a cell and being injected with various serums and then being asked to perform different forms of complex magic. There's still a lot that I do not remember, but slowly (very slowly..) I'm remembering bits and pieces. A group from S.H.I.E.L.D was sent to the location where I and others were being held to get us out of there. HYDRA must've gotten a heads up because they started shoving pills down our throats to keep us quiet. Unfortunately, in the mad dash to do this, the incorrect dose was given to everyone killing all except one. Me. How I survived? That is the million dollar question and the main reason that the Avengers were so intrigued with me.

That was all a week ago, now I am currently sitting in a very bright hospital room being constantly looked over and hammered with questions. The only person that I've had the...privilege.....to meet is the one and only Steve Rogers. That's right, Captain America has been sitting by my bedside attempting to calm me down and make me feel safe. To be fair, it's working, but that doesn't mean that I'm not anxious to get out of this room.

"Y/N....?" Steve asked hesitantly

"Yes?"

"Do you think you're up for meeting the team?"

"The team? What team is that exactly?"

Steve looked surprised that I didn't know what he was talking about. "The team, as in the Avengers...you haven't heard that name before?"

"I'm sorry...I've been kept in a basement basically. Should I know who the..."

"Avengers." Steve answered for me

"Yes, right. Should I know who the Avengers are?" I gave him an apologetic smile.

"I apologize ma'am, I keep forgetting that you practically grew up there so I'm sure watching the news wasn't exactly on the agenda for you." We both laughed at this and Steve looked relieved that he hadn't offended me.

"Honestly, I don't remember much right now which makes it difficult to be traumatized by it so no need to walk on eggshells around me!"

Steve held out his hand for me to take and gently helped me off the bed and started leading me out into the hallway. Once outside the medical bay, he pointed to the elevator and I stepped in ahead of him. As he pushed for floor 50 I realized just how big this building actually was. Steve must've noticed how surprised I was because he gave a little laugh and said "I know, it's overwhelming how much money Stark has, but you'll get used to it soon enough. The main living floor is on 54, I'll show you around later. Right now, we're headed to the conference room so that you can meet the team and we can hopefully get a little more clarification on your background."

I wanted to tell him that I had no more information than he had, but the elevator stopped and opened up to a huge military looking conference room. The room alone was overwhelming, but the presence of the Avengers was like a train had knocked the wind out of me. All of a sudden I had a very powerful urge to scream and run, but luckily Steve was there to put a reassuring hand on my back and steer me towards an empty chair at the head of the table.

"So, this is sparky?" The guy at the other end of the table questioned.

"Stark..." Rodgers warned.

"Yeah, yeah, she's fragile like a flower. Are we going to do introductions or not?" The man named Stark was clearly becoming impatient.

"You already know me, the loud and irritating one is Tony Stark. He owns the building."

"That's it? That's the only title I get?" Stark complained.

"What more is there to sa-"

Tony cut him off by a wave of his hand. "Playboy, billionaire, genius, philanthropist...to name a few. and I'm the one and only Iron Man!"

"Tony, she doesn't know who that is so it doesn't exactly mean anything to her..." Steve tried to explain.

"Enough of this pissing match, I'm Natasha. We're pleased to meet you Y/N" The red-head said with a pleasant smile

"I'm Clint...or Hawkeye" The man with dirty-blond hair said from next to Natasha

"I'm Bruce Banner, also the Hulk on...certain occasions.." The man across from Clint announced shyly.

"Wonderful. So, that's us. The amazing, powerful superhero troupe known as the Avengers. There's also Thor who is a few realms away, but he's not as impressive as us so don't worry about it." Stark said jovially while everyone rolled their eyes.

"It's nice to meet you all, as you seem to already know....I'm Y/N." I said hesitantly.

Everyone just kind of stared at me expecting to hear more so I finally continued "I don't know much more than any of you. I was in a HYDRA base last week being force fed a pill and then someone was busting the wall down and carrying me out of there. I have no memories from before then...."

Steve seemed to be able to sense my apprehension and put a hand on my shoulder "It's ok Y/N, we think whatever that pill they gave you has affected your memories. We're hoping with some time that you'll be able to remember some things. More specifically, we're hoping you can remember what your powers are. All we've seen is that when you're startled, you seem to be able to electrocute people."

"That explains why he called me Sparky." I mumbled to myself.

"Y/N, I'm sure this is all overwhelming. How about I show you to your room?" Steve asked politely

"I'd appreciate that, thank you." I got up to follow Steve out of the conference room after giving a small smile to the rest of the room.

Steve and I walked back to the elevator and up two more floors in a comfortable silence. We stopped when we reached a black door with golden swirls on it. Steve opened it and let me walk in ahead of him to check it out for myself. I noticed the room was huge and had a sitting area complete with a fire place and flat screen TV. Once I continued walking, I saw a door that led to a bedroom with a big king-sized bed, walk-in closet and my own bathroom. To say that I was impressed was an understatement.

Steve interrupted my thoughts then "I hope it's to your liking, anything can be changed/fixed if not. We got your measurements and Natasha did some shopping for you so your closet is full of clothes that'll fit you. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you need anything. I'll give you some space to get settled, JARVIS will let you know when dinner is ready. Try to get some rest Y/N."

With that, Steve left the room and closed the door behind him. I was relieved to finally have some alone time, he was right. Everything was very overwhelming right now and I just wanted to take a hot shower and crawl into bed. Luckily, it was only 2pm so I had plenty of time before dinner to do just that. After I showered the hospital smell off of me, I laid down and closed my eyes wondering if I was ever going to get my memories back....