Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

- Loki's POV -

I didn't sleep at all through the night, I couldn't stop thinking about Y/N and Tony's conversation. It was killing me to see how much pain this was causing her. If I had never come into her life she wouldn't have to leave the only family that she's ever had. I decided that I had to take myself out of the equation. I got out of bed and wrote Y/N a letter, explaining my decision. I placed the letter on my pillow and looked over at Y/N who was sleeping peacefully. I caressed her cheek and placed a very light kiss on her forehead before quietly slipping out of the room.

I made my way out to the helipad as quietly as I could, I didn't want to deal with anyone. I had made up my mind and I needed to leave before I regretted it. I took a deep breath and looked around before calling out to Heimdall. The rainbow lights encompassed me and after just a minute, I was back in Asgard.

"Welcome home, Your Highness" I was greeted by Heimdall "I know what you are going to ask and I have to ask you if you are sure about this?"

"Yes. It is what has to be done. Do not allow her access to the bifrost."

"As you wish. I will alert the Allfather of your return"

"Thank you" My horse was waiting for me by the bridge, I should've known that Heimdall would be prepared for my sudden return. It was customary to announce my arrival to the Allfather so I made my way to the throne room where he was already waiting for me.

He was in a discussion with mother and looked up when I walked in "My son, you're early. Did you come alone?"

"I have, father. I'd like to request an audience with you and mother later, I will explain my sudden arrival."

"We will talk later then, meet me in my office" He waved me off and I made my way back to my room to figure out what exactly I was going to say. He wouldn't be happy with the change of heart, but he would come to accept it.

I had been pacing around for awhile when I heard my bedroom crash open. I jumped and looked over to see a very angry Thor walking towards me with Mjolnir in his hand.

"Brother. What is wrong with you? Why have you returned home?" Thor was holding me by the collar of my shirt.

"Peace, Thor, I am doing this for her own good."

"Explain yourself."

"Can we at least sit like civilized people?" Thor rolled his eyes, but let go of my shirt and took a seat on my couch while I sat in a chair next to him. "Y/N shouldn't have to leave her only family behind. I did this for her, she won't be happy without them in her life."

"Brother, you are her family as well. She is beside herself, you should've seen the condition I found her in this morning. I beg you to reconsider."

"No, Thor, it has to be this way. She will come to understand."

Thor opened his mouth to argue, but was cutoff by two guards sprinting into my room. They bowed to both of us and I motioned for them to get to the point. "My princes, there is a war breaking out in Alfheim. The Allfather is requesting you both accompany an army to assist. They're waiting for you at the bifrost."

With that, the guards left and Thor and I quickly made our way out of the palace and to the bifrost. As we neared the army, I used my magic to change into my battle armor while Thor slammed Mjolnir on the ground, summoning lighting and making his own battle armor appear. We got to the front of the army and looked everyone over before Thor nodded to Heimdall. The bifrost opened and we all stepped through.

We arrived to find Alfheim in complete ruins. Buildings were on fire, there was smoke everywhere and there was a constant sound of screaming in the distance. It seemed like most of Alfheim's army had already been taken out by the time we arrived. Our army quickly jumped into action on what was left of the enemy army. I couldn't help the unsettled feeling that crossed over me. The enemy had clearly already won and most of them had retreated. Something didn't feel right about this.