Chapter 27: INJURY AND THE PAST

Anushka's POV:
What a man Virat is..he is so good at cricket. And the way he gave back to that Australian player was commendable. Now, I know why cricket is loved by many. I feel so happy with the way things were happening. The last ball of the over was remaining and we knew either it'll be a six or a four. The bowler ran and threw a very fast ball without any tip and It would have hit Virat's face but he rotated a bit and it hit his shoulder. The next thing I saw was Virat collapsing on the ground and there was dead silence in the crowd.I saw him yelling in pain and I could feel how hurt he is. I didn't realise that tears has started flowing from my eyes. I can't believe he was the same man who was smiling a moment ago. Everyone in the dressing room was shocked and at a point where they can cry anytime. Other than sadness and surprised, there was a fear on their faces. The Physiotherapist along with three more staff brought Virat out of the ground and he was still screaming in pain.

Third person POV:
Virat got injured by a full toss ball by Cummins. It was no ball and seemed an intentional attempt to injure Virat. Virat collapsed on the ground and all the Indian supporters couldn't believe what happened. The players were also too shocked to react. Rishab who saw the whole incident from the non striker end was now crying sitting beside a collapsed and injured Virat. The physios took Virat straight to the hospital and Umpire signalled to continue the match. The Indian team was no way accepting their Cheeku getting injured due to someone's intentional attempt. So, Mahi came to the ground and told the Umpire that they are not continuing the match as they can't play with the players who can injure someone intentionally. He told the Umpire that he can't risk his team. Umpire seemed to understand the situation so he requested Mahi to not back out and he dismissed Cummins from the ground for the rest of the match. The team didn't want to create a scene in front of the whole crowd thus decided tk continue the match and Harry came to bat. There was no way anyone in the team could play their best game now. Rishab got out in the next over without further adding anything to the team score. And this way the whole Indian team got out within next 30 runs and Australia recorded a 20 runs win over India levelling the series with 2-2.. The team India dressing room was pin drop silent. The youngsters were sad and upset while the seniors were having a breakdown. Anushka somehow consoled herself and tried to talk to the team.
"Guys, please console yourselves.We can't sit here being all gloomy. Let's get back to hotel and wait for Virat there"
Noone responded.
"Bhai, aap hi kuch kahiye please" Anushka requested his Mahi bhai and he finally listened to her.
"Aj jo hua uska pata nhi kya asar hoga.. It's not just a injury, I don't know how my Cheeku will go through this. I can't see him go through that hell again.. not again..." Anushka couldn't understand what he meant.. what hell? But she didn't think it was the right time to ask.
"Mahi bhai, hum next match jeetenge.. you don't worry. We have to cheer Virat also" Anushka said.
"It's not about this match or this series at all Anushka.. Virat can't handle injuries. He will get broken again" Ro said and at last broke down. Anushka and the juniors didn't know what does all this mean. Finally the team stood up and left for the hotel and waited in Mahi's room for Virat.
"Bhai, ek cheez poonchu, aap kya keh rhe the ki Virat ye sab kse handle krega? What does that mean?" Rishab who was silent till now finally spoke and tears were still floating in his eyes. Mahi finally decided to tell the team everything.

"The thing is Virat can't afford to have injuries. You all see how much he works for his fitness, not just because he loves gym but also because he knows that one injury can ruin everything for him. He hasn't suffered a single injury in the last 5 years..." Mahi bhai said.
"But why is this so bhai.." Anushka asked.
"Because the last time he got injured, he lost many things"
"I won't tell you all details as it is Virat's personal matter but I can tell you that when he got injured 5 years ago, his girlfriend whom he loved with all his heart left him, he couldn't make a come back in cricket and also lost his love. He was depressed and almost left cricket but somehow he made a comeback and from that day onwards he has made sure that he doesn't get injured. Once he got a small cut in his finger and he cried for whole night just bcoz he was scared that his loved ones will leave him again." Mahi bhai told and all the juniors were surprised to hear this while Anushka couldn't believe that the smiling and ever cheerful Virat has hidden so much pain behind his smile. She was now aware why some teammates were scared when Virat got injured.
"Bhai, but why don't you make him understand that injury is a part of our profession? He'll definitely listen to you" said shardul.
"He just goes into a shell whenever I talk to him about this or his love life..he doesn't want to talk about it. I don't know what will happen,.." Mahi said stressed and just then Mahi got a call that Virat has come back from hospital and he is in his room. The team ran to his room and saw him lying on his bed silently.Mahi went and made him sit and hugged him.
"Cheeku...thik hai ab tu? Dard hora hai... doctor ne kya kaha...?" mahi would have asked more questions if the physio have not interrupted.
"Sir, actually his shoulder is completely dislocated.. thankfully the bone didn't break.. he is asked to take a complete rest for atleast 2 days.. And even then, just little movements of hand." the physio informed.
"Rest to ab ise krna hi pdega..vrna I'll kill him..You jerk, get well soon otherwise I am not going to spare you" Rohit said coming to the other side of Virat.. To all Rohit's nonsense, Virat didn't even replied once. He was all silent.
Everyone tried to get a reply from him but he didn't utter a word, just passed a fake smile here and there.
"Cheeku, enough... You can't sit like this. Talk to us. It's just an injury, you'll get well soon. No need to be worried at all. Cheer up..We can't see you like this"
Mahi said.
"Bhai, I'm all right.. Just a bit tired so want some rest" Virat answered blankly with an emotionless face. Mahi couldn't pressurise him more so they all left to their rooms.

Virat's POV:
I got injured today and this injury again took away a priceless thing from me.. A win... A hard fought Victory...
I don't know how I'll handle this thing again. What happened last time still bothers me, it's not like I don't want to get over that but I can't. I wanted to talk to Mahi bhai about it today but I couldn't. He tried his best to talk to me, to get replies from me but in the moment, I just felt numb. I am scared of injuries, what if this time also I will get away from cricket, what if this time also, I will lose my loved one... I can't pour my feelings out about this particular topic, I fail to explain my fears, my inside thoughts and maybe that's the reason I am still not over a 5 year old incident. The sky was getting darker and darker and my fears were again taking over me. I was about to cry so I decided to take fresh air. I went near the swimming pool and dipped my legs in the water and sat there. I was totally zoned out thinking about my fears. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder, I looked up to find out it was Anushka. I love talking to her but currently I am not in a state to talk to anyone about today. She sat beside me dipping her legs in the water too.

Anushka's POV:
After whatever transpired today amd whatever Mahi bhai told us, I was no way getting a sleep. I was standing in my balcony when I saw Virat near the swimming pool. I thought of joining him. He was totally lost in his thoughts so lightly tapped on his shoulder and then sat beside him.I decided to not mention about today's incident.
"Virat, You know what.. I want to complaint against this hotel management. Today I ordered Rajma- Chawal and they sent me Daal- Chawal...I am so disappointed.." He smiled but no reply. I have to do better.
"And one thing more.. I need your help.. There is one guy on my insta I'd and he troubles me a lot. I have blocked him many times, he always makes a fake I'd and then again messages shit.. I am really very stressed bcoz of him" This was truth but I didn't need help, it's easy to tackle these problems but I need to have a convo with Virat so I mentioned this.
"Show me.." This was all he said. I handed him my phone after opening insta and that boy's chat. The boy had sent me some really embarassing messages but anything to talk to Virat today.He sent his profile to his I'd.
"Such a creep. I have blocked him and I will find out his details in a day or two and then you can or if you allow I can ask him directly to not trouble you." he said and handed me my phone. Again there was dead silence.I was thinking for a topic to initiate a conversation again but much to my surprise, Virat did it this time.
"Anushka, You were with the team..Is Rishab all right? I saw that he was crying when I was collapsed.. Did that Cummins said anything to him after I was gone?" this man is so selfless..he is going through a lot and still thinking for others.
"He is fine now. And that player didn't said anything to him. Don't worry" I said and he passed me a smile and I can see that he was internally praying for me to not mention today's incident further.
"Don't worry Virat, we won't talk about the incidents till the time you don't want" I assured him and finally a genuine smile made its way on his face.
"Thanks for understanding Nushkie"
"Just remember one thing Virat, you can talk to me about anything without the fear of getting judged. I am always there"
I said and he seemed relaxed after hearing my words. After some minutes, he put his head on my shoulder and we stayed like this for half an hour without uttering a single word and then moved to our rooms.

Third Person POV:
Rohit saw the whole scenario and he was happy that atleast someone managed to talk to Virat.

******************************************************
Good Morning🌅
Here's today's update..
Didn't we all felt bad for Virat and the whole team?😕
What do you think will happen? How will Virat get over his past and this injury?🤔
Comment and Vote 💯
Keep reading, Stay happy 😁