Chapter 23: SUPPORT

8th November

Anushka's POV:
The last 4 days passed in a blink. Today was the game day. Everyone was busy in their respective works. And the players were literally giving all they had on the field during practice in the last 4 days. Even I had to take up the responsibility of telling them to leave the ground, otherwise they would've happily practiced all 24 hours. I have known one thing very clearly now that these guys love this game and they live for it. They deserve every bit of fame and love they get. Coming to my cricket knowledge, I have learnt a few more things like they also play one match in two halves just like football. But surprisingly there is no particular time for each half. I don't how that works. I have learnt that when the ball lands in someone's hand directly, these people celebrate just like footballers celebrate after a goal.. I don't know why but they do. There are a lots of doubts in my mind too like why Ash bhai throws the bowl so slow while Jassi throws at the speed of bullet. Who does it the right way? I shooed away my thoughts and went to hotel's lobby where most of the players were present with their huge kit bags. I wonder how they manage to carry them along the whole time. Soon all players gathered at the lobby and made their way to the team bus. The team was quite excited to get on the ground because they were playing a match after more than a month. We soon reached the ground. The match was supposed to start at 1:00 pm and we reached the ground at around 10:00 pm but still there were people who have already taken their seats in the stands. This game is much more popular than what I ever thought. We entered the dressing room and the team unpacked their stuff and soon it was the time of team meeting. This will be my first team meeting and I know my curious self will get me embarassed for sure but I had no option than to join the players for the meeting.
"So guys this is a long series. We have 5 ODI matches and we have to win this one" Mahi bhai started addressing the players. I asked Harry who was standing beside me about what ODI means and he answered me in a low voice "One day Internationals".. What does this even mean? Doesn't every match is a one day match? I thought and I heard Virat saying "No, every match is not a one day match, in cricket we have games that goes on for 5 days also" did I say that loud? Stupid me... I decided to shut my mouth for the rest of the meeting while the team laughed at me.
"We know we have never won a series against Australia in Australia but we can create history, our bunch has the power to do that. And If we have to qualify for the upcoming World cup, we have to win this. We can't let the dream of millions of Indians shatter. We all have dreams of seeing India lifting that world cup trophy but for that we have to win this" Mahi bhai said and I guess this is an important series as he just mentioned.
"Mahi bhai, is world cup as important tournament as FIFA?" I asked and the team smiled.
"Yess baccha. Its the most important tournament in the game of cricket. All the cricket playing nations have their eyes on the shiny world cup trophy so it is a very important tournament" Mahi bhai answered and I could see how the players were nervous and excited at the same time. The team then went to the ground and started practicing, the Aussies were on the ground too. After sometime the players came back to the dressing room and wore their blue jersey. The pride and happiness in their eyes were describing the value of that jersey. After the national anthem, the match finally started. I was seated with Virat and Harry on one side and Mahi bhai and Rishab on the other.
"If the match has started why aren't you joining Ro and Rahul on the ground?" I asked a very serious query but looks like that's not the case as they bursted into laughter.
"Di, we are batting so the players will go one by one to bat" Rishab said but I still don't get why they have sent only two players while the Aussies were present with their full army. The match was going good as I could see virat jumping time to time. He is such an energetic person. After some time Ro hit the ball from his bat and it went high in the air and it landed directly into an Australian player's hand. I was sure that Virat will jump out of happiness but all I could see was the gloomy faces of the players. But why are they sad, doesn't they used to celebrate everytime the ball landed in someone's hand... How confusing... Virat wore his halmet and walked with his bat and Ro was coming back to the dressing room.
"Bhai, what just happened? Why didn't you all celebrate when the ball landed in a player's hand and why is Ro coming back?" I knew I was being super irritating but I can't keep my queries to myself. But Mahi bhai and the other laughed at this.
"Anushka you should be a commentator. It will be so much fun." Bhuvi said taking Virat's seat.
"Anushka, the players who hits the ball and someone catches it is declared out and he has to come back to the dressing room. So, the team whose players take the catch celebrates while it's a loss for the opposite team" Jassi explained me and now I get it why Ro is coming back. But if he knew why the hell he hit that shot in the air? I will tell him not to hit in the air the next time.

Third person POV:
Rohit got out on 47 runs out of 38 balls. India got a good start with 60 runs in 10 overs with one wicket down but still a lot needed to be done. Rahul and Kohli were playing brilliantly but Rahul got LBW in the 15th over with 34 runs in his account. The wicket kept falling at regular intervals but Virat stood constant holding one end. Virat completed his much needed century in the 39th over with a huge six. He went on playing a wonderful knock and India managed to score 315 runs in 50 overs. Everyone appreciated Virat on his way back to the dressing room. The second innings started and Indian fielders gave their everything on the field but Aussies were too good with the bat that day that they chased down the target within 47 overs with just 3 wickets down recording a huge victory over India. They got 1-0 lead in a must win series for India. The dressing room was filled with gloomy and upset faces, Anushka did try to cheer up the boys once but failed and she didn't made another attempt thinking to give them some time as she knew it won't be easy to accept a defeat after a month of hard work. The team returned to hotel and everyone retired to their rooms.

Anushka's POV:
The team lost and I can sense the pain they all were feeling. Virat seemed the most dejected as if he is broken. I have seen him animated, excited and cheerful but this Virat was totally unfamiliar to me. He is the one who celebrates the most after every catch so it was obvious for him to be the most upset and that too when he did quite good in the match with his bat. I sat beside him in the bus but he didn't say a word. We reached the hotel and everyone retired to their room after getting a stern warning of having dinner at their rooms. I also went to my room but Virat's upset face was constantly in my mind. I finally decided to cheer him up a bit so I went to his room with my food plate as I knew he wouldn't have ordered dinner. I knocked his door and he opened it.
"What happened Anushka? You needed something?" Virat asked me.
"Yeah, I need a smile on your face" i said entering his room.
"What?"
"Nothing, actually i didn't feel like having dinner alone so thought to have your company. Come, sit" I said offering him his own bed to sit.
"But I haven't ordered my food yet." Virat said as if I didn't know this.
"Don't worry, we can share" I said and before he could protest any further I ordered him to have food. He agreed and I was proud of myself for that. But this man is a mystery. Sometimes, he is so expressive that it's hard to control him and today he is not even letting a word slip from his mouth. I needed to have a chat with him so that he can come back to his usual self.
"Virat, Would you mind joining me for a walk in the garden?"
"Anushka, Isn't it too late? And I am tired too, let's postpone this plan for tomorrow" I knew this was coming.
"Virat I know, you are no way going to sleep this soon. I know the day has been hectic but trust me, this walk will help" I said and he nodded into a yes.
We reached the garden and started walking. I refrained myself from initiating a conversation as I knew Virat will pour out his feeling once he will done with his self thinking. So I let the silence prevail for sometime.
"Anushka, Wasn't I good enough today?" he asked sincerely but how do I tell this human that he was at his best.
"Virat, sometimes results fail to show how amazing one has performed. You were so good today, don't let one defeat overpower you."
"But it's not just one defeat. This is a must win series and we can't afford to lose it at any cost. I can't fail my fans, my team, my family, my country. I can't" Virat said and tears were threatening to spill from his eyes.
"Virat you need to understand that cricket is a team game and you can't take the team to a win alone. Our team has the capability to comeback stronger and win the remaining matches. You can't pull yourself down after just one match. The team looks up at you, the fans looks up at you and they believe in you." I said giving him assurance.
"Anushka, what If we fail to win this series?"
"Virat, this is not the time to focus on What if. Everything is still in your hands. And even if something happens, you have your whole team standing by you. What else you need." As I said this I saw a smile on his face.
"Yeah.. we still have four matches left..Things can be turned around and they will" he said and I felt happy that I succeeded in cheering him up.

Third person POV:
Rohit who came to cheer up his best friend because he knew how low he feels everytime the team looses was very happy to see him smiling and he could see the source too. He always wanted his friend to have a partner who can lift him up when he is dejected and He was happy that if not partner, Virat atleast have found a friend in Anushka who'll look after Virat the way he does. With a happy heart, Rohit went to his room without disturbing them. Virat and Anushka also went to their rooms.

******************************************************
Hello guys, It's 4th of Dec and as promised here is the update..🤩
My first exam went pretty well, thanks for the wishes. I hope anyone of you who appeared for exams also had a great day😃😃
Now, there will be regular update again...❤️
Vote and comment please, they motivate a lot✨
Keep reading, Stay happy 😁