Chapter 43- Checkmate

HOLLY'S POV

It was a difficult afternoon.

The fucking TV wasn't working, I tried to watch 'The Office' but the screen kept popping up with the same shit, "YoU mAy NoT aCcEsS tHiS pAgE dUe To NeTwOrK iSsUeS"

So after a few minutes of me cursing at the screen, throwing the remote across the room, and violently turning on and off the screen I did what any rational person would do. I calmly got up from the couch and headed down towards the kitchen.

Walking down the lonely hallway with minimal light to guide my path allowed me to clear my cluttered head. My mind is like a laptop trash bin, it is filled with useless tabs or documents, but once it is cleared, my hardware is working smooth like butter.

I made my way to the kitchen to find Dante; the exact person I was looking for.

"Dante," I chipped as I slowly walked behind him. He moves his head to the side to identify who was talking to him.

"Yes, Ms. Mccoy?" Dante saluted as he stepped down from the kitchen stool.

"Why are you here? And not with Elijah?" I questioned as I sat at the end of the kitchen island, grabbing an apple on the way.

I took a small bite from the apple letting its juices drip down my chin before I whip it away with the back of my hand. The crisp taste of granny smith apple lingers in my mouth till I swallow it, allowing the bitter yet sweet taste to descend my throat.

"I was assigned 'Holly' duty today" Dante stated as he rounded the kitchen island. He rested his arms on the cold marble countertop as he leaned closer to me. His head tilts to the side as if he is remembering something.

He slowly moved his head further from me but kept his arms crossed on the countertop allowing his body weight to be supported.

"That sounds like a fun duty" I chirp as I take a second bite of my apple. The crisp but bitter taste is familiar now and I devour the vibrant green apple in less than five minutes.

I sing the song 'we are the champions' in my head as I prepare for the best free throw of my lifetime. I roll my shoulder in a circular motion as I prepare for my 1 pointer. I have my eye on the target as I release the apple core. The core goes soaring through the kitchen, almost in slow motion.

"AND THE CROWD GOES WILD" I pat myself on the back as, I, have hit the target.

"You fucking missed" Dante was a real Debby Downer.

"No, I didn't, I hit the garbage" I stated as I crossed my arms over my chest in a stubborn act.

"You hit me" Dante rolls his eyes as he picks up the apple core and walks two steps towards the garbage can. He opens the modern garbage and takes a few steps back while taking a two-point shot. Of course, he makes it.

"As I said, I hit the garbage" I smirked as I saw Dante take a dramatic gasp of air as he moved his hand over his heart to illustrate the pain I have caused.

"This is why I hate being on 'Holly' duty" Dante spits back at me. I can see the little smile he is trying to hide under his cold exterior.

"Bitch" I whisper under my voice as I walk towards the staircase to go back to the arcade room.

I heard deep steps run after me. I guess that is one job requirement for the 'Holy' duty, always keep your eye on me.

"What did you say?" Dante ran beside me as he stuffed his hands in his dress pocket. Now that I look at him, he's not that tall, I mean he is a foot taller than me, but compared to Elijah. Elijah is a tall, strong, handsome, psycho, murder, kidnapper.