Nine

╔══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ══════╗

𝕳𝖔𝖜 𝖈𝖆𝖓 𝕴 𝖒𝖔𝖛𝖊 𝖔𝖓 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖓
𝕴'𝖒 𝖐𝖊𝖊𝖕𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖆 𝖘𝖕𝖆𝖈𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖒 𝖎𝖓
𝖒𝖞 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖞𝖔𝖚?

╚══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ══════╝

━━━━━━━1940 

"WHAT ON Earth are you doing?"

Edmund glanced up from his task, penknife still in hand, to see Jill giving him an unimpressed look that he was used to seeing on Susan's face, "what?"

"Don't make me repeat the question. You're going to get caught, you know."

The boy rolled his eyes and returned to his activity of digging the sharpened blade into the bench seat. The five of them (Lucy, Eustace, Jill, Edmund and Polly) were waiting for the train arrive so that their cousin and friends could return to Cambridge. It was rather late at night now after their dinner had ended and Peter and the Professors had gone back to Oxford or home, respectively.

When she received no answer, Jill took the empty seat next to him and tilted her head to read his etched letters, "EP plus. Plus what?"

"I'm not done yet," he returned, leaving a space between the '+' and the next letter. He began to carve a C as the younger girl leaned over him nosily. She was much like Eustace, in that regard, but not nearly as bad as he'd been before their last adventure. The L followed as the final letter.

"EP plus CL," the brunette read aloud, glancing up to look at him, "EP's you, isn't it? CL is—"

"Cornelia Lewis," Edmund finished, fighting the instinct to close his eyes as he said her name, "though I suppose I should put P for Pevensie which I know she'd rag on me about— you know, my '1940s traditions' and all," a faint smile appeared on his lips despite the complaint.

"I should have known," Jill said, exasperated, "you never shut up about her, after all. I am quite glad I didn't go with you lot on the Dawn Treader just so I wouldn't have to witness what Eustace calls 'disgusting displays of affection.'"

"Eustace likes to exaggerate—"

"Well I won't argue with that," the boy himself interrupted Edmund's response as he took the remaining seat, "but what is it about this time?"

"You finding the concept of affection repulsive," the dark-haired boy explained easily, retracing the C to make it deeper.

"Well it is—" Eustace started with a huff.

"You don't seem to mind it when I kiss you," Jill cut him off, a smug expression on her face, "so unless—"

"That's different," he argued immediately as he turned to face her, "we're soulmates, so that's what you're supposed to do. I'd just rather not see my cousin do it."

"What are lot arguing about now?" Lucy asked as she joined them having finished her conversation with Polly.

"Whether Eustace is a germaphobe or not."

"I'm not," his cousin protested, "I just think it's revolting to see you kiss someone. Look, I'll kiss Jill right now and—"

"I don't think so," the girl stopped him in his tracks, "I won't be made an example of, thank you very much."