Thirteen

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕿𝖔 𝖆𝖜𝖆𝖐𝖊𝖓 𝖎𝖓 𝖆 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊
𝖙𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝖎𝖘 𝖔𝖓𝖊 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝖕𝖑𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖙
𝖘𝖊𝖓𝖘𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖑𝖉

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

[fall-winter, years 1013-14]

━━━━━━━Cornelia

CORNELIA AND Edmund married in the Spring of 1013 and she had been a (true) Pevensie for nearly an entire year. It had been a rather small celebration— at least for royal standards. Their closest friends had been in attendance including Mr. Tumnus, of course, the Beavers and the Harlows. The King of Archenland had also been invited but he had declined the offer; while the Pevensies' reign had been blessed with good fortune, that had not been the case for King Lune as, soon after his return from Susan's first Unity Ball, one of his sons had been kidnapped. Although he was friendly with the ruling family of Narnia this had made him wary of leaving his country— and younger son— unattended.

During this time, Rabadash's interest in Susan had increased with the man going to far as to ask to court her. The second-eldest Pevensie had, of course, objected in their private meetings but Peter thought that at least entertaining his attention would be a good idea.

"We can't trust him," Peter argued when they'd gathered in the second-floor library, "we don't know what he's planning."

"Which is why I don't want to give him more encouragement than he already has," Susan said pointedly, "if you don't trust him surely you shouldn't leave him alone with me?"

"I trust you," her brother was quick to clarify, "but if he has something planned for Narnia we need to know. Seeing as you're the only one without a designated soulmate you're our only option."

Before the brunette could retort, Edmund cut in quickly from his place next to Cornelia, "if it helps, one of us could always be around you," he suggested, "as a sort of chaperone. That way if he tries anything there would be a witness. I certainly wouldn't mind decapitating him."

"Edmund," Cornelia said reproachfully, "we don't need a full-out war with Calormen right now. The giants are already giving us trouble up North; our forces would be stretched too thin."

"All I'm saying is that I don't need much of an excuse to teach him a lesson," the dark-haired man explained, raising his hands complacently.

"I suppose I wouldn't be against it if there was a chaperone," Susan allowed, "but I would like to say that I'm not livestock that can be traded and bartered."

"Of course you're not," Lucy piped up from her spot on the ottoman, "we have no intention of letting you marry Rabadash— he just doesn't need to know that."

"It's decided then," Peter announced authoritatively, "I will inform Rabadash of our agreement— with him, of course, not this one— and we will proceed as tradition dictates. We'll think of an escape plan in the meantime while you try to find out what his true intention is with Narnia."

ೋღ🌺ღೋ

That was nearly two months ago and the prince of Calormen had been delighted with their acceptance of his offer, all smiles and charm. They knew, of course, that this was an act but they put on an equally-convincing one themselves. Now, Edmund and Susan were planning to leave for Calormen while Peter had left two weeks ago for the North. Cornelia had previously planned a trip to Terebinthia though she was tempted to cancel it and travel with her soulmate and sister-in-law. Lucy had chosen to stay at the castle and keep everything in order, promising to write if something were to happen.