Five

╔═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╗

𝕳𝖔𝖜 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖉𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖒
𝖔𝖋 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖓
𝕴 𝖆𝖒 𝖜𝖎𝖉𝖊 𝖆𝖜𝖆𝖐𝖊.

╚═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╝

━━━━━━━1940 

PETER PRACTICALLY dragged his brother out of the dining hall to prevent him from approaching the professor, "would you just think for a minute?" he demanded in a low voice once they were mostly alone. Only a few latecomers to the dinner hour shot them curious glances but continued on, "you can't just walk up to him and introduce yourself!"

"That's not what I was planning on doing!" Edmund retorted. He kept trying to turn back to look in the hall and it was driving Peter nuts.

"You also can't go up and say 'your granddaughter is my soulmate,'" the older boy guessed at his brother's plans, "Lia's mother is probably only a teen, Ed."

"But I have proof!"

"How well d'you think you'd react if someone came up to you and said their soulmate was a family member of yours that didn't even exist?"

Edmund's expression became torn as he considered the blond's words, "but Pete—"

"I'm not saying you can't meet him," Peter added hastily, "I'm just saying that you should think this through first."

ೋღ🌺ღೋ

That night, Edmund lay awake in Peter's dorm. Will occupied the second bed and, while he'd offered to take the floor, Edmund had declined. It wasn't like he was going to sleep much anyway.

He stared up at the dark ceiling of the room as he thought about the professor's blue eyes. They were so much like Nelly's that it made his chest ache and now that he was alone, he reached a hand up to rub at it in the hopes that would help it go away. There were times were he wondered if it would be easier just to rip out his heart than carry on like this, but he always decided (eventually) that no, it wouldn't be.

He always found that he missed her most during these quiet hours. When there was nothing else to do, no one to talk to and nothing to be distracted by, his soulmate's absence became so much more noticeable. He often thought about their time together during the Golden Age from the moment she'd first kissed him to when they first parted and all the seconds in between.

Edmund still remembered what it was like to fall asleep next to her. He remembered the way her skin had brushed against his. He remembered the soft press of her lips and what it felt like to hold her. He missed the feeling of her fingers running through his hair and the sound of her quiet breaths as she slept. He missed the reassurance that she'd be there in the morning and he could wake up next to her each day. But, above all, he just missed her.

His hand reached down and grasped the smooth, metal cylinder of the electric torch he carried with him everywhere. While he couldn't turn on the light as it would wake his brother and the other boy, he was still relieved to feel its comforting weight against his side. The professor's face swam in his mind and he knew he had to find the older man— it was the only connection to his soulmate that he had left.

Nelly had told him about finding his letters in a trunk labeled CSL and that those were both her mother's and grandfather's initials. While he hadn't understood his connection to them at the time, there was no doubt in his mind it that it was because he met Professor Lewis. Somewhen before 1947, he would give the letters he wrote to the teacher and they would stay stored in the trunk until 1990.