Fifteen

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖆 𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖕 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙
𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖈𝖆𝖓 𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖕 𝖎𝖓𝖙𝖔 𝖆𝖓𝖞
𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖜𝖆𝖓𝖙

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

[winter, 1014]

━━━━━━━Cornelia

CORNELIA'S HOMECOMING was not the joyous occasion that she had thought it would be. Instead, the castle was nearly silent as she and her travelling party rode through the gates.

Over the course of their separation she'd felt many confusing emotions from Edmund though that was to be expected since she didn't know what was happening to him. Rabadash was an unpredictable ruler and almost anything could go wrong; she'd certainly felt a lot of tense and anxious feelings.

Her arrival had most likely been announced as they'd come into view and Susan appeared only minutes after she'd slid off her horse. The dark-haired woman's face was rather grim as she approached her sister-in-law, her eyes lacking the welcoming spark they usually had, "it's good to see you Lia."

"What's happened?" Cornelia asked, her feelings going straight towards fear.

"There's been some trouble," Susan began, "it's a long story but the short explanation is Narnia is at war with Calormen."

"What?"

"Rabadash tried to kidnap me," she clarified, deciding more information was needed, "when he found out about our escape, he obviously wasn't pleased. I think that the armies will meet somewhere on Archenland territory. Lucy and Edmund are with them."

Edmund.

"Do you know exactly where they are?" Cornelia questioned her, her voice turning rushed and urgent. All she could think of was the danger her soulmate was in. 

Don't die out there, okay? (She'd never meant it literally.)

Susan shook her head regretfully, "word doesn't travel fast during battle."

A determined look appeared on the blonde woman's face, her expression hardening, "right then," she turned to one of the Centaurs that had travelled with her, "Lazare, please take care of unpacking. I must find a pair of breaches—"

The other queen's hand reached out to grab her wrist, "you're not thinking of joining them, are you?"

"Of course I am," her reply was instant, "Su, Edmund's in trouble. I'm sure he'll need all the help he can get—"

"What about the Queen's Gambit?" Susan reminded her, "this is a risk—"

"That I'm deciding for myself," she cut her off swiftly, "battles might not be your forte but I will never abandon my soulmate."

Shaking off the other woman's hand— though she did this gently— Cornelia raced up to the room she shared with Edmund and borrowed his pants and shirt despite their ill fit. She used a piece of rope for a belt and folded the legs and sleeves to fit her better before hurrying to the first-floor arsenal for her bow and arrows. Slinging the weapons onto her back as she returned to her horse, Cornelia didn't wait for her traveling party to ready themselves. It would take too much time that she couldn't afford to travel as a group, so she would ride solo.

"Lia, wait—" Susan said, "please, just think about this—"

"I have thought about it. I'm going," her words were clipped and she was anxious to leave, "you'll take care of the castle, right?"