Eight

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝖂𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝖈𝖆𝖓 𝕴 𝖘𝖆𝖞 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊
𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖙 𝖒𝖊𝖆𝖓 𝖔𝖓𝖑𝖞
𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊, 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖜𝖍𝖆𝖙
𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖑𝖊𝖋𝖙 𝖇𝖊𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖉?

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━1990

CORNELIA STOOD at the opening of the boys' bedroom, her gaze fixed on the half that was so clearly Edmund's. Peter's was towards the back with a reddish-gold comforter covering the bed, medical books propped up on the nightstand and not a speck of clutter anywhere else. Her soulmate's, on the other hand, had a deep green comforter and the bedsheets were rumpled as if he'd only just gotten up.

Books with papers sticking out of them sat haphazardly on his beside table and even on the floor. There was even a pair of pants and a shirt that lay crumpled on the ground near his dressers, kept in place for almost fifty years. Both sides had yet more family photos hanging on the striped walls and the far side had a window that overlooked the street.

She didn't even notice Susan had left as all of her attention was on the room in front of her. It was a perfect snapshot of time, as if any second, Edmund and Peter might appear and ask her what on Earth was she doing, standing in the doorway like that.

There was such a strong sense of presence that she could nearly convince herself that, if she were to turn around, she'd see her soulmate standing right behind her. Cornelia turned slightly, almost fully expecting to see a flash of brown hair and bright brown eyes.

She didn't, of course.

The only sight that greeted her was the empty hallway that led to Susan and Lucy's shared room, their parent's room and the bathroom. Even though she'd known that that was all she'd see, her heart still sank in her chest. Cornelia faced the room again and her eyes returned to Edmund's side. Almost reverently, she finally stepped over the threshold.

She walked slowly to his bed and ran her fingers lightly along the comforter until she reached his nightstand. Her fingers gently traced over the spines of the books and the smooth wooden surface before they reached the cool, golden metal of the lampstand. She lifted her hand to slide it along the top of the dresser and she carefully outlined the framed pictures that sat on top.

The girl raised her other hand to grasp the knob of the first drawer before she hesitated, not wanting to invade his space.

"You can open them."

Susan's voice made her jump, unsurprised that she hadn't noticed the woman's return, "oh— sorry, I—"

"It's alright, Lia," she said with an understanding look, "I was going to give you some of his things anyway, if you wanted them."

"Oh. Thank— thank you."

She shrugged, "I certainly don't need them anymore. Most of the sweaters and things are in that drawer, by the way."

Cornelia nodded in response and tugged open the drawer. She wasn't surprised at all to find the clothes inside wrinkled or unfolded— Edmund had always been terrible at keeping things neat. She smiled wistfully at the reminder and allowed her fingers to travel over the different fabrics. One was a solid, dark blue V-neck sweater that was soft to the touch. She pulled it out and held it up as she tried to imagine Edmund wearing it.