Sixteen

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝕴 𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖓𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖔
𝖋𝖆𝖈𝖊 𝖌𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖋, 𝕴 𝖘𝖆𝖜 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖎𝖙
𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖆 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖛𝖞 𝖈𝖔𝖆𝖙.

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

[fall, 1015]

━━━━━━━Edmund

WHEN NEWS of the White Stag's appearance reached them— brought to Cair Paravel by Mr. Tumnus— the five Pevensies immediately set out to hunt it as the rare animal was believed to grant wishes to whoever caught it. A light Autumn breeze drifted through the multicolored woods while golden sunlight dappled the forest floor. Their horses' hooves crunched on the fallen leaves as they raced through the familiar setting. Cornelia and Lucy were competing against each other to see who was fastest while Peter and Susan rode at a more conservative pace, wanting to save their steeds' energy for when the time was right. Edmund had been somewhere in between but after several hours riding at that speed, Philip seemed to slow down.

Concerned, he leaned over and gently patted his friend's mane, "are you alright, Philip?"

"I'm not as young as I once was," the Horse responded solemnly.

Noticing his lagging, the other royals slowed their paces as well while Cornelia and Lucy retraced their steps. Susan rode up beside him, "come on, Ed."

"Just catching my breath," he answered lightly.

"That's all we'll catch at this rate," the dark-haired queen teased him.

"What did he say again, Susan?" Lucy asked.

Her sister deepened her voice to mock their brother, "'you girls wait in the castle. I'll get the stag myself.'"

"Perhaps he was talking in third person," Cornelia suggested, grinning, "we might be farther ahead if he stayed behind."

"Oh, very funny," Edmund rather childishly stuck his tongue out at her (a gesture that she returned.)

"Children, children," Peter interrupted them, "we have a Stag to catch," before they could respond, his eyes suddenly caught something, causing him to dismount his horse, "what's this?"

The five of them gathered around the strange metal post, looking up at the light that shone brightly from the top. Edmund unexpectedly got a strong, inexplicable feeling of nostalgia that brought to mind snowy days and—

"As if from a dream," Susan murmured, glancing over at her sister.

"Or a dream of a dream," Lucy agreed, "Spare Oom."

At her words Edmund felt a sudden jolt of dread. He looked over at Cornelia who, unlike his siblings, wasn't looking up at the post in wonder. Instead he found that she was already looking at him— a silent, pleading question on her face that he didn't understand. The initial feeling was quickly followed by something akin to fear though of what, he didn't know. Before he could ask about these emotions, the youngest Pevensie raced off.

"Lucy!"

"Not again."

"Lu?"

As he made to follow his siblings, he felt something— someone— catch his hand. Edmund turned to his soulmate, "Nel, what's wrong?"