Eleven

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖋𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖓𝖉𝖘𝖍𝖎𝖕
𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖍𝖆𝖘 𝖈𝖆𝖚𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖔𝖓 𝖋𝖎𝖗𝖊

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━Edmund

THEY ALREADY had quite a few nights in Narnia, each one of them spent on the ground during their trek. For just as many nights in a row, Cornelia laid down on the opposite side of the fire from him, Lucy on one side and Acacia on the other. Finally, he'd had enough, "Nelly!"

She paused, her legs stretched out on the ground in front of her as she twisted to face him, "yeah?"

"This is ridiculous. Come here."

She gave him an uncertain look, "are you sure?"

"Nel," he insisted, gesturing to the empty grass next to him.

Tentatively, his soulmate stood and crossed the distance only to sit almost a foot away from him once she'd neared. Edmund sighed and moved closer to her, "you've slept next to me before, you know."

"But I was older then," she answered, "as opposed to a thousand years later—"

"When you're younger. Yes, I know. We're still us, though. Time doesn't change that."

"I suppose not," Cornelia admitted, turning to face him. Her expression was soft and full of longing, her voice sounding small when she spoke next, "everything's different now, isn't it?"

"In some ways," Edmund agreed, reaching for her hand, "but in others it's still the same."

"Is it?" she asked, "we're children again, Eddie. We can't— we can't be married, not in any country," her tone became wistful, "even if we're mentally older no one would really believe us."

"Nel," he began softly, waiting for her to look at him, "there will never be anyone for me but you. Even if my body can't show that you're my wife, my heart and mind know what you are to me."

His soulmate's eyes shone silver in the firelight, the glow causing shadows to flicker over her face as she leaned forward to press her lips to his, just like she'd done so long ago in the Western Wood. His eyes closed at the familiarity as he all but melted against her, relishing in the realness of being able to hold her after the year they'd spent apart. Eventually she pulled away though she kept her forehead pressed against his, their noses brushing slightly as she breathed his name, followed by "I love you."

"And I you," he replied softly. How he wished his siblings weren't feet away.

"We're going to have to go back eventually," the girl murmured, unwilling to let go of the reality they faced and he felt that familiar prick of grief, "what happens then? I don't— I can't keep losing you."

"I don't know," Edmund admitted, his chest aching at the thought of having to say goodbye to her a second time, "but we'll figure it out— I know we will," he squeezed her hand tightly, "I've been meaning to ask— did you ever get my letters?"

"Yes!" she said quickly, "I found them in my family's trunk, do you know how they got there?"

He gave her a bemused look, "I haven't the faintest. Perhaps it hasn't happened yet. Did— did they help?"

"More than I can say," she confessed, and he was almost certain she was blushing (but only because he knew her so well— otherwise her face was hard to see.), "I—um— I was a mess, you know. I didn't know what to do without you."

It seemed as if his fears had been confirmed— that his soulmate being alone in the future was worse than being in his own time. Having enough of their heavy discussion, he tried for a lighter tone, "we need to make the most of the time we have here, then. That means not sleeping on the other side of the planet, Nel."

Edmund pleased when she gave an amused giggle and they settled down for the night, his arms curling around her waist as he held her close.

ೋღ🌺ღೋ

It was the best night of sleep he'd gotten since they last parted, only marred by the rude wake-up call of Peter's early-morning fight with a Telmarine who turned out to be Prince Caspian.

"High King Peter," the dark-haired man said in accented English, recognizing the boy's sword.

"I believe you called."

"Well yes, but... I thought you'd be older," he said, his gaze travelling around the group. His eyes lingered the longest on Susan though Edmund thought he could have paid less attention to Cornelia. He shifted slightly in front of his soulmate, straightening his shoulders as he ignored her huff of exasperation.

"Well, if you'd like we can come back in a few years."

"No! No, that's alright. You're just... you're not exactly what I expected."

"Neither are you," Edmund admitted slowly.

"A common enemy unites even the oldest of foes," the badger said.

"He talks!" Acacia exclaimed, delighted. Peter had, of course, told her that Narnians could do so but seeing it was different.

"Of course I do, Your Majesty," the badger replied, "I am a Narnian after all."

"We have anxiously awaited your return, my liege," a Mouse spoke up, referring to Peter.

A few feet away Edmund heard Lucy breathe, "oh my gosh, he is so cute."

The Mouse drew his sword, "who said that?"

"Sorry," the girl answered guiltily.

His fierce tone softened, "oh, uh... Your Majesty, with the greatest respect... I do believe courageous, courteous or chivalrous might more befit a knight of Narnia."

"Well, at least we know some of you can handle a blade," Peter stated pointedly.

"Yes indeed, and I have recently put it to good use acquiring weapons for your army, sire," he bowed to the king.

"Good," the boy nodded approvingly, "because we're going to need every sword we can get."

"Well then, you'll probably be wanting yours back," Caspian returned the weapon to the eldest Pevensie who sheathed it before gently guiding Acacia away.

As they fell into line, Edmund saw Cornelia lean towards Susan, an amused look on her face, "Caspian is rather attractive, isn't he?"

"Oh, shush you," the brunette retorted, though she seemed noticeably flustered. 

"No he isn't," he couldn't help but grumble, not liking the attention his soulmate was giving the new royal. 

"Oh, shush you," Cornelia repeated, giggling with Susan.