Four

╔═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╗

𝕴 𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖔𝖘𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖇𝖊𝖑𝖎𝖊𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖓
𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖕𝖔𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖇𝖑𝖊,
𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝕴 𝖉𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖜
𝖍𝖔𝖜 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖞 𝖜𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖕𝖊𝖓.

╚═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╝

━━━━━━━1990

EVERYONE WHO knew Cornelia well— which was all of five people, at least in the 1990s— knew that she loved lions. If asked about her favorite animal, she would not hesitate to answer as such. For those who didn't understand her reasoning (three of the five people) they thought it odd that she didn't seem to fear them. She remained respectfully cautious, of course, but there was never any true fear.

Some weeks after returning to her time, she'd apologized to Maggie about her earlier words (even though she hadn't meant it sincerely, she was trying to fulfill her promise to Edmund) and they'd become friends again and just like that, their group was back to three. They'd gone to the zoo on one weekend which was how the pair had found out about her interest. Maggie liked the gorillas since they displayed human-like behavior and Samuel liked the penguins since he thought they were funny.

"Why'd you want to come here so badly?" the brunette asked, though she didn't mind— zoos were a great place to record the life happening around her.

"The lions," she'd answered simply, providing no further explanation.

It was only when they arrived at the enclosure did the begin to understand her fascination with them. Cornelia stood on the small ledge that supported the fence, her hands curled tightly around the metal. While a part of her hated that the majestic animals were locked up like this, she was selfishly grateful that she could see them this way.

These lions were nothing like Aslan, of course— they were completely wild. If she were to set foot in the cage, they wouldn't hesitate to make her their dinner. There was no human emotion like there had been in the Lion's eyes and certainly none of his wisdom. She thought that these lions might be smart in their own way, but not one that she could easily measure.

"What's so great about lions?" Maggie wondered, her gaze unimpressed as she studied them, "all they do is lie in the sun and hunt things."

"Have you seen the way they move?" the blonde questioned her in return, "there's so much power there. Their roar can be heard for up to eight kilometers!"

"Yeah, well, a howler monkey's call can reach 140 decibels which is loud enough to blow out your eardrums."

"Are you two quite finished?" Samuel asked impatiently, "I want to see the penguins!"

"They hardly make any noise," Maggie scoffed, "so be quiet, penguin-boy."

"For your information," he retorted, "their call can be at least 120 decibels, so it almost beats your stupid monkey."

Cornelia ignored them, content to watch her favorite animal. There were three that were visible, one male that was, as the brunette had pointed out, lying in the sun, his tail flicking back and forth. A female was sitting on her hindquarters, her head lifted in the air as she scented it, her ears twitching. The final female was lapping her tongue over her paw before reaching up to clean her head.

While it was true that they held none of Aslan's personality, they were as close as she was going to get to finding Him here, in this world (at least as far as physical presence.)