Nine

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕱𝖊𝖊𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖒𝖊𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘.
𝕸𝖊𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖆𝖑𝖘𝖔 𝖋𝖊𝖊𝖑𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

[winter, years 1008-9]

━━━━━━━Cornelia

SOMETIMES, CORNELIA felt as if she remembered too much.

She had memories from earth as well as Narnia, the two occasionally clashing together to make a confusing mix of emotions. She loved Narnia, of course. She loved being queen, being able to help people and being respected. She loved the Pevensies who had become a second family to her and Edmund held a special place in her heart— she would never want to give any of this up.

Yet, sometimes, a pang of homesickness would hit her so unexpectedly that she had to take a moment to recover. While she was nearly twenty-one and almost a fully-grown adult, she could still remember the twelve-year-old she had been upon entering this world— just a girl, her eyes wide with curiosity at her new surroundings and enthralled by the fact that she'd found her soulmate.

Perhaps that was why Aslan had wanted the Pevensies to forget their origins. If they remembered then they'd want to go home before their time in Narnia was fully up. It was Cornelia's job (curse) to remember, for what reason she didn't know, but to keep it in mind always, even when she wanted to forget.

She supposed that the worst part was not knowing when everything would be taken from her. She knew that they had to return to their separate times someday, that it was inevitable that they would have to part ways (Aslan had told her as much himself) but the state of not knowing was terrible. It could be today, tomorrow or six years from now and she couldn't help but worry over it. The thought of living without them— without Edmund— was bleak and gray and terrible.

At times, her past-memories would be triggered by a word or situation in her present ones, throwing her back to her old self as she called the young girl she'd once been. It happened more times than she admitted even to herself but when they did happen, she refused to tell the Pevensies even when they gave her looks of concern.

ೋღ🌺ღೋ

[spring, age 13]

Susan, Lucy and Cornelia sat in a grassy field underneath a cloudless robin's-egg-blue sky. Warm, golden light shone from the sun above and a light breeze that drifted through the air occasionally made their horses' ears twitch, their heads bent as they grazed nearby. The three girls sat on what would become a familiar red-and-white checkered blanket with the first of many picnic baskets opened before them as they took out sandwiches, pastries and lemonade.

The three girls had made plans to have Friday picnics for the rest of their rule as a way to take a break from their responsibilities and expectations. (In the winter, they decided to do so in the barn.) Even the eldest of the trio acted her age, laughing light heartedly at Lucy's cheerful antics. The young girl was full of what seemed like boundless energy and she spent quite a bit of it mindlessly twirling around, her the sapphire skirt of her dress fanning out around her legs.

Cornelia watched her with bright eyes, her own legs tucked under her sky-blue skirt as she half-longed to join her (though she did get rather nauseous if she spun too long.) Lucy stopped, giggling, as the world swayed around her before it settled out, though her walk was still a bit unsteady. She looked back at the trampled grass and flowers for a moment before her expression brightened, "I know! Let's make flower crowns!"