Fourteen

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕮𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖈𝖑𝖊: 𝖆 𝖋𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖚𝖆𝖑 𝖜𝖗𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖓
𝖆𝖈𝖈𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖎𝖒𝖕𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖆𝖓𝖙 𝖔𝖗
𝖍𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖎𝖈𝖆𝖑 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊
𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖊𝖗 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖎𝖗 𝖔𝖈𝖈𝖚𝖗𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖈𝖊.

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━Edmund

"I'VE READ your book, you know."

Edmund hesitated at the entrance to one of the landings of Aslan's How, having searched for Cornelia after dealing with the Witch. He found her— with who else but Caspian?— sitting on the lookout point high above the ground.

"They still exist?" she asked, surprised.

"In other countries, yes. The Professor was able to acquire a copy and I thought you wrote quite well," Caspian said.

"Oh. Thank you."

"The section I enjoyed most in your manuscript was where you featured each of the Kings and Queens of Old. Despite them being your family I could tell it was very unbiased— for the most part, anyway," his tone had taken on a teasing note that made Edmund tense slightly.

"And which part was that?" Cornelia prompted him, though by how she spoke it seemed that she knew.

"King Edmund's was rather... more expressively written, I would say," Caspian replied with a grin that he couldn't see. (The comment did make him feel better, though.)

"Yes. Well, it was quite hard for me to separate a professional opinion to the one I'd formed. Let me guess— Susan's was your favorite of the four?"

"How—?"

"I'm not blind, Caspian. She's your soulmate, is she not?"

Edmund stared at the opening in surprise, the revelation completely unexpected. He'd hardly seen the pair interact and when they did, it appeared that they did not get along well. He missed the prince's response but tuned back in a few moments later after the shock wore off slightly.

"There was something I've been wondering."

"Go on," Cornelia encouraged him.

"Why was there not a section on Queen Cornelia the Steadfast? Surely as the author you wanted to include yourself."

"An author should never write about oneself," she answered firmly, "at least for me, it is vastly uncomfortable to do so. Besides, the point is to tell stories about others, not to tell your own. Of course, autobiographies are an exception but this was a history book, not a memoir."

There was a moment of silence before he asked hesitatingly, "on the subject of Queen Susan—"

"She's your soulmate, Caspian. Do us all a favor and call her Susan."

"Of course. Um, I wanted to— to ask about her."

"Alright," she said agreeably.

"Has— has she said anything of what she thinks of me? I cannot seem to read her, though her emotions have tended towards the... romantic side."

Well, he'd had quite enough of this. Edmund stepped out onto the terrace, "there you are, Nelly. I've been looking for you."

The Telmarine prince stood and brushed the dust from his pants, "thank you for your time, Queen—"