Seven

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖜 𝖜𝖍𝖞 𝕴 𝖆𝖒 𝖘𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌
𝖍𝖔𝖕𝖊𝖋𝖚𝖑 𝖔𝖓 𝖆 𝖕𝖆𝖙𝖍 𝖜𝖍𝖎𝖈𝖍
𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖉𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖈𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖘.

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━1940 

"DO YOU think that she ever tries to convince herself Narnia was just a dream?" Edmund asked, the question barely audible. He lay flat on his back with his legs stretched out over the couch cushions while his sister sat in one of the leather armchairs, a book lying unread in her lap.

Lucy heard him anyway and she was quick to disagree, "of course not. You know Lia better than anyone. She's terribly stubborn and she'd never give up on you that easily."

"Sometimes I can't help but wonder if I should do that— what Susan's doing. It's been three years now, Lu. I've never gone this long without seeing Nelly since I've met her."

"You shouldn't stop believing," the younger girl stated firmly, "you'll see her again, I just know it. Narnia was real and so was— is— she. You can't forget her, Ed."

"The letters don't even help that much anymore," Edmund continued softly as his gaze remained on the ceiling, "at least two years ago, I knew she was getting them and I could ask her what she thought. I don't even know—"

"Lia's told you that she received them and they're all together, so she does have them. You just have to remember to give them to Professor Lewis so they'll stay in his trunk."

"She knew this was going to happen, you know. She tried to stop me from leaving the day you found the lamppost again. I should've stayed with her. She's not even alive yet, Lu, and I can't stop thinking about how things could've been different if we just— if we hadn't left."

"Aslan always has a plan," Lucy said, "He wouldn't put you through this if He didn't think you couldn't handle it. Something good will come from this, I can feel it."

"What good can come from feeling this much pain?" he demanded, "I can't help but think it would be easier not to feel at all because some days I don't even think I can get out of bed. I just— what if she forgot about me?"

The girl refrained from rolling her eyes, "I'm certain she hasn't, Ed. She's your wife."

"I know, but—"

"She misses you just as much as you miss her," his sister's tone was firm and unyielding and for a moment, she sounded just like his soulmate.

"That's almost worse."

ೋღ🌺ღೋ

Edmund had always hated confessing that he had nightmares. He was supposed to be a king, he couldn't afford such a weakness. The beings he was supposed to be ruling over were already suspicious of him due to the past and he didn't need to give them another reason for their concern. Still, he'd broken down and eventually told his soulmate about what scared him most: Jadis' continued hold over him and the threat of repeating history even when he'd done his best to make amends.

He'd seen Cornelia be strong in the face of the Witch's power, as she'd challenged Jadis about her injustice. Even with the tip of the ice spear pressed into her chest, she hadn't given in. He admired the bravery she'd shown and her steadfastness was one of the reasons why he'd finally shared his fears with her.