Three

╔═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╗

𝖄𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖊𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝖍𝖆𝖘 𝖌𝖔𝖓𝖊
𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖒𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖉
 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖆 𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖉𝖑𝖊.
𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝕴 𝖉𝖔 𝖎𝖘
𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖉 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖎𝖙𝖘 𝖈𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖗.

╚═════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═════╝

━━━━━━━1940 

Three Years Later

THE WAR ended right after the fall term of 1945 started. There was a wave of relief that swept all over Europe— in the countries that had lost the least, anyway. There was an unimaginable amount of reparation that had to be done, both home and abroad. That did not keep England from celebrating their victory, though. It seemed as if there was a parade or commemorative speech every other week.

The Pevensies were ecstatic to be reunited with one another at last and many rounds of hugs were exchanged in the old family home. If Helen and John had ever noticed the change in their children, nothing was ever said about it. (It was most likely explained away as the effect the War had had on their developing young minds.)

Instead, the pair admired how mature they were as they sat in the family room talking late into the night. Peter and Edmund seemed to exchange knowing looks as John spoke of his involvement in fighting for the cause. Helen noticed Lucy and Susan asking her questions they wouldn't have before they'd gone to live with the Professor.

It was only when Helen had asked the damning question did they seem to become like children again, "so, have any of you met your soulmates?"

Her query was entirely valid: they'd been apart for years and years and it wasn't impossible for them to have met their other halves without the whole of the family knowing. Still, a noticeable dimness settled over the room as the siblings glanced at each other with an odd sort of sadness.

"One day soon," Peter finally answered, his tone soft.

"Don't worry about it, son," John said confidently, "I'm sure that you will find them, and I can't wait to meet them when you do," he paused to meet each of their eyes, "all of your soulmates."

Lucy reached over and gently placed her hand on Edmund's arm in a silent show of support, knowing that the question was almost harder for him than it was for the rest of them— his soulmate was entirely reachable, just not in this time.

ೋღ🌺ღೋ

After their family reunion and the energy from the War settled down, school resumed its normal session. Now sixteen, Edmund was in his final years at Hendon House and he was looking to apply for colleges. It was a little early, but he was on track for graduating ahead of most of his peers. Once Lucy (and indirectly Alberta) had helped him realize that he couldn't live the rest of his life in bed, he approached it head-on, often filling his schedule up too much so that he didn't have a moment to relax.

Apart from trying to graduate early, he'd also taken a more active role in both the debate and chess club. He'd even become... friendly with a few of the other members, even going so far as to take lunch with them. Eustace had joined him at Hendon House when he'd come of age after badgering his parents about it for months on end (while his old personality was gone for the most part, he still kept around the useful sides, like being extremely annoying.)