Twelve

╔═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╗

𝕿𝖔 𝖊𝖘𝖈𝖆𝖕𝖊 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗, 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖙𝖔
𝖌𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖎𝖙, 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉 𝖎𝖙.

╚═══════ ೋღ🌺ღೋ ═══════╝

━━━━━━━Edmund

IT SEEMED like quite awhile later that the sleigh finally came to a halt. The dwarf- Edmund had already forgotten his name- roughly ordered them to stand. His legs had fallen asleep in the constricted position he'd sat in and they were unsteady as he and Cornelia stumbled onto the snow.

Or, well, it wasn't really snow anymore as large patches of grass had begun to appear underneath the white fluff. After only walking a few steps, they came to a precipice overlooking a melting river. As they watched the ice chunks break away and flow downstream, the dwarf started to shrug out of his jacket, "it's so warm out," the Witch glared at him and he quickly put it back on, "I'll go check the sleigh."

Edmund watched the flowing river and hoped his siblings had made it across safely. The waters were rapidly moving and most likely treacherous to cross. He wasn't sure how fast wolves could run compared to two teens and a little girl and did his best to think positively for once so the girl next to him wouldn't pick up on his concern.

"We found the traitor," a new voice sounded from beside the queen and he turned to see one of the mangy wolves. He was carrying a fox by the scruff of its neck clamped between his teeth and he dropped the animal unceremoniously to the ground.

"Nice of you to drop by. I understand you were so helpful to my wolves last night," Jadis spoke mockingly.

"Forgive me, your majesties," the fox replied, bowing his head.

The Witch scoffed, "don't waste my time with flattery."

He looked up, "not to seem rude, but I wasn't actually talking to you."

Edmund's eyes widened as he caught the animal's gaze. He couldn't possibly mean... him, right? The queen had promised him the throne but he wasn't so much of a fool to think she would give it to him anymore; she had just been trying to manipulate him. The fox couldn't be joking could it? It certainly seemed as serious as a fox could be.

Jadis lost her patience, her voice rising as she spoke her next words, "tell me- where is Aslan?"

The fox remained silent, looking up at her without fear. The tip of her wand became level with its nose, prepared to turn him to stone. Edmund remembered the panic he'd felt only hours before when the same wand had been pointed at his soulmate. His fear had kept him in his place, rendering him useless had the Witch been intent on using her weapon. He didn't want to make the same mistake or to have another innocent life on his hands. He'd put his siblings at risk, his soulmate in danger and probably any number of woodland creatures that had helped out his family along the way. He could at least try to save one.

"No, wait!" he stepped in front of the fox, "the Beavers said something about the Stone Table and that Aslan had an army there!"

Something sour that he'd never felt before made him glance briefly at his wrist before his gaze found Cornelia's. His heart sank at the disappointed look on her face. He should have known she wouldn't understand. He wasn't trying to help the Witch- he was trying to be brave, like her! Instead, she was now upset with him.