Last year

Third year of middle school, the year when we have to worry about entrance exams and the likes and a lot of kids have decided to finally take school a bit more seriously. Good for them, good for them. It also means that Mina is at my house more often for tutoring sessions because she abhors the idea of having to take a makeup exam and would rather pass immediately rather than suffer a second time. So for the past hour or two, I have been helping with the typical subjects she sucks at while Eijiro is somewhere in the house, likely finding out that Alissa is far stronger than she looks and to fight her is to be constantly surprised. He'll return with more than a few bruises that's for sure. 

Mina still struggles with math, quite understandable when you take a look at her teacher. Every new method that is inaugurated I must help her understand or she'll definitely fail whatever test she had coming up. At first, I thought that she just has a hard time understanding math in general when in reality it is her teacher who fails to explain the steps properly. Next to that, Mina seems to learn things a lot quicker when I constantly give her attention, stay away too long and she'll spiral away from the issue, which just prompts me to stay at the desk with her, watch and eat the snacks she got from the kitchen. Sometimes, out of nowhere, she worries she's taking up my time since I have exams as well and should be studying, and instead I have to help her understand the subjects.

As she is right now.

"Mina, you're not bothering me, really" I try to reassure for maybe the third time now, I don't know why she's so worried all of a sudden.

"Yeah, I know, sorry" biting the end of her pencil she stares at the next problem as if it had personally wronged her.

"Why would you think you're an inconvenience?"

"You have to study too but I'm here almost every day for lessons so you don't get a lot of time to study if you're worried about me" she explains, tapping her pencil almost anxiously.

"Mina, come on, that's no problem at all" it isn't. I've never struggled academically and I do make time to study should I need to. "I get more than enough time to study and helping you is a good way to get a refresher if anything"

"Yeah, I know, sorry again" it's odd for her to apologize so much. There must be something wrong.

"Okay, what prompt these concerns, have I ever made you feel like a bother?" Because if so then I have some groveling to do.

She doesn't answer me for a moment, because she doesn't need to. When she recalls a memory I'm already planning something dangerous when I realize who the hell made her feel this way.

"That damn fool" it's the same guy that called her raccoon eyes. Had he not learned his lesson? Had I not hit him hard enough? How does he get the balls to suggest that Mina's only using me for free tutoring sessions? The audacity of this idiot. He has the guts to suggest her academic struggles are a hindrance to me as if he knows anything. "You shouldn't listen to him, he knows nothing"

She smiles a bit, nodding in agreement. "I know, I don't know why I let him get to me"

"When I see hi-"

"Don't get yourself in trouble again, Zena"

I scoff. That one time I sent him to the nurse's office I was almost suspended for a few days. I  was punished by staying after school and cleaning the class. Not much of a punishment if you ask me, the dirty classes had been bothering me for some time, and cleaning it only brought me relief.

"Mina"

"Zen"

"Mina, how can I let him continue to live without facing the consequences of his stupid actions? Must I not punish him for daring to upset you? That's a crime in itself, he deserves the worst. And this is the second time, apparently a simple broken nose wasn't enough for him" the next time I see him he's done, he won't even know what happened. I will not stand for this tomfoolery, no one shall insult my friends and go about their day as if they hadn't upset the balance of the world.