Just another day

"I sit by myself, talking to my foooooooood"

As I always do when lunch rolls around and my food looks especially good today after my talk with my club. I've been working my ass off all week and the coach has finally acknowledged my Tsubasa level skills and says it's very likely I'll get to play against our neighboring school. That very much calls for a cheery mood and full enjoyment of the simple bologna sandwich I have today. Simple, but still very tasty. Morgan had things to do today so she couldn't go all out, hence the bologna sandwich. How do you say "baloney" but write "balogna"? The English language just loves to mess around, huh?

"It's lunch hour and you're busy with homework?"

A bag is dumped on the table opposite me as Mina casually seats herself in front of me. She makes more space by carefully shoving my books closer to me while trying not to let that one pencil roll off the table.

Day five of Mina joining me for lunch.

"Efficient" is the only answer I have for her. I tend to do the assigned work as soon as possible so I can enjoy my young life without worry. Never once have I not done my homework and I do not plan on breaking this somewhat nerdy streak of mine.

"A bit nerdy if you asked me" she say casually while eyeing my books as if they were her worst enemy. They probably are. "Not that it's a bad thing, it just means you're smart, and smart is good. But you'll never catch me doing homework during lunch period"

Understandable. Homework is very frustrating and it's hard to just up and do it when you don't enjoy the task. It's hard to do anything when you can't stand the very thought of it and if teachers took the time to somehow make the stuff entertaining a lot of kids would be doing far better in school than they currently are. I myself do not like homework, but I have no problem doing it as it's best to just get it out of the way. And the stuff they give isn't that hard for me to go over so that helps.

"Do you normally sing about talking to your food?"

The question comes out of nowhere and a piece of bread flies down my throat in my shock. There had been no warning to the question at all, not even thought before she spoke on it. Just a spontaneous question. I didn't think she heard me. How long was she in my area then?

"Chocking on a piece of bread would be a sucky way to go"  oh, believe me, I know all about terrible and embarrassing deaths. My bottle of water is opened and offered to me. She's trying to contain the smile that wants to surface, the laugh that builds in her stomach. She's trying so hard and for a moment it works, but soon she's giggling and can barely contain the snickers.

With my water bottle almost empty, I finally get the piece of bread down safely and I'm left to sit quietly as I think of ways to redeem myself. Now that I think about it, singing about sitting by myself and talking to food sounds really lonely, slightly weird, very much unhinged.

"So?" She's grinning.

"So what?"

"Do you?"

No, I do not, if you must know. It's just that the song came to me out of the blue and I decided to make my own little remix. It was amusing when I did it, especially when I thought no one heard me, especially when I'm sitting alone in the most secluded corner of the cafeteria.

"No"

She smiles as if she doesn't believe me and her thoughts confirm this very loudly. I'm a bit offended actually, but there's no point in making more out of it and embarrassing myself even more. I'll just eat my sandwich and drink my juice. I'll just pretend she isn't sitting right there, amused and cheery.