68 | from zeroes to heroes

Azalea flinched when the sound of her brother's newly purchased hooter rang through the air. "ROPED IN ANOTHER ONE, PEOPLE!" he announced loudly before walking over to the whiteboard to change the seven into an eight.

"Hey, what's going on?" Jerry asked as he, Milton and Joan entered the dojo.

"I'll tell you what's going on," Rudy said smugly, "The promotional video I put on our website is working."

"I can't wait to watch us on camera," Milton said with an excited smile.

"Ooh, when Donnie at the hardware depot sees me in my gi, it's gonna take our relationship to a whole 'nother level," Joan said suggestively, "He might stop locking the doors when he sees me coming."

"Sounds healthy," Azalea muttered sarcastically while turning to the next page in her book.

"I still don't understand why you refused to be in the video," Jerry said.

"Because I'm not photogenic and I can't act," Azalea shrugged, "Plus, these things are usually really embarrassing and the internet is kind of permanent."

Rock music started playing as the promotion video started. "Yo, here we come," Jerry said and the video started. At first it was just Jack who did one of his routines. When Joan, Jerry and Milton rolled into picture their faces were covered completely, showcasing what the dojo offered if you joined instead.

"I think you were great," Azalea said when the video ended and all of them looked at the tv in disbelief.

"Where were we?" Milton asked in disappointment.

"I'm sorry, I had to make some difficult decisions," Rudy said apologetically.

"Like cutting us out?" Joan asked.

"Oh, no, that was an easy one," Rudy told them, "No, what I struggled with was how to deal with my 'directed by' credit. But then it just came to me."

A loud fanfare came from the tv and a clearly photoshopped outside of a shirtless Rudy carrying a golden retriever over his shoulder appeared.

"This video was directed by me. Rudy Gillespie - espie- espie -espie."

"And I'm never eating again," Azalea mumbled.

"I trained hard for that video," Joan said bitterly, "My reverse heel kick landed with force and precision."

"It landed in your face, Joan," Azalea reminded her.

"Is that what happened?" Joan said, not remembering the incident.

Just then Jack walked into the dojo and everyone started applauding and giving him high fives. "Hey, yo, Jack," Jerry said, "Have you seem the video?"

"Eh, yes, I have and I'm not the only one," Jack told them, "Since it came out, I got a free game at laser tag world. I'll be on the homecoming float with the cheerleaders. And Bob the butcher gave me this bag of cold cuts."

"Whoo, I'll take that," Joan took Jack's bag of cold cuts, "Joanie Malony loves Bob's baloney."

"Hey, Jack, got some potential customers over here who wanna see your video," Rudy called him over. Azalea went back to reading her book and after a few minutes the couch dipped beside her and she didn't have to look up to know who it was.

Jack was about to kiss her when she brought her hand up, causing him to kiss that instead. "Homecoming float with the cheerleaders you say?"

"You don't have to be jealous-"

"I'm not jealous," Azalea told him, "To be honest, I'm more offended I wasn't invited to laser tag."

"And that is why I love you," Jack smirked and this time she didn't stop him when he tried to kiss her cheek, instead she turned her head and surprised him by kissing him properly.