𝕭𝖆𝖉 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓 𝕽𝖎𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖌

"Thanks for coming, Ric," Stefan said as Damon let Ric inside the boarding house. Elena and I had asked him to come over to ask him what he knows about Mystic Falls and its creatures, more like the Lockwood family and what they are.  

"Can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?" Damon offered, closing the door behind Ric. Wow, Damon being polite, who would've thought?

"Rose and Elena mentioned you needed my help?" Ric questioned as he sat down on the couch opposite of Stefan, Elena, and I as Damon sat down next to Ric. 

"Yeah. We were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan said, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. 

"Now why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?" Ric questioned. 

"Well, you wouldn't. But your dead-not dead vampire wife might," Damon said insensitively. 

"Isobel's research, from when you guys were at Duke together," I said, hinting that there would possibly be valuable information in Isobel's research. 

"You said that she had spent years researching this town," Stefan recalled. 

"Isobel's research here-Mystic Falls-was rooted in folklore and legend. At the time, I thought most of which was fiction," Ric informed.

"Like that amazing vampire story," Damon joked. I think. . .I hope.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" Elena furrowed her brows. 

"Lycanthrope," Alaric stated.

"Wait. Like werewolves?" I questioned, furrowing my brows. 

Damon sat up in his chair, "No way. Impossible. Way too Lon Chaney." 

Stefan looked at his brother, "Is it?"

"I've been on this planet 160-some odd years. I've never come across one. If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?" Damon answered. 

"Well, why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Ric questioned. 

"Because vervain didn't effect the mayor on Founder's Day but the Gilbert device did. And it affected his son Tyler," Damon said. 

"And at the school carnival, his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behavior when he fought one of the carnival workers. It suggested some sort of a supernatural entity," Stefan added on to the evidence of suspecting the Lockwoods. 

"We were hoping that Isobel's research could help us figure out what it is," I said, leaning forward and resting my elbows on my legs. 

"Well, all of her things are still at Duke," Alaric cleared his throat, "I mean, her office is still there. She technically still missing." 

"So can we get access to it?" Damon asked. Ric answering with a shrug. "Ric, we need to know what we're dealing with. If this wolfman thing is true, I've seen enough movies to know it's not good. It means that Mason Lockwood is a real-life Lon Chaney. And that little Tyler punk may just very well be Lon Chaney Jr. Which means Bela Lugosi-meaning me-is totally screwed." Time for a road trip. 

* * * *

"You sure you want to do this?" Stefan asked my sister who was packing a small bag for Duke. We decided that Elena, Damon, Alaric, and I would go to Duke and see what we can find in Isobel's research while Stefan stayed behind and help Caroline adjust to being a vampire. 

"Which part? Digging through my birth mother's lifework or going to Duke with Damon?" Elena asked, sighing. 

"Either. Both," Stefan said.