Once upon a time. . .

Once upon a time, on the 12th of November 1985 lived a woman with bright red hair and hazel eyes. Blessed with the natural beauty of freckles, and a dazzling smile. The aura of hope, kindness, and love surrounded the women, an aura most admired and others envied. Envied because in a cruel world kindness and love couldn't get you anywhere and hope, certainly didn't take you far. Admired, in a cruel world kindness and love were a quality hard to find. The girl had grown up being kind, remembering her mother's words. ''Being kind is not being weak, remember that Poppy.'' It was one thing that stuck with her during her whole life, her mother's words, it was a promise she'd live up to. The woman lay on her deathbed, coughing crimson red blood, her hazel eyes sparkled as she looked at her children. Patting a spot on her bed she watched as they came, she watched as neither spoke a word but their tears were enough for her.

''I have to go my children, my time is near.'' She spoke softly.

''But I don't want you to go.'' One of her children, her blond bird said while sobbing.

''I know birdie but, it's not my choice either.'' She said while pushing the cough bubbling in her chest down.

''Momma,'' Looking at her second and youngest child she wiped the tears sliding down her cheeks.

''Shhh baby, I won't ever leave you'' She said and quickly coughed into her handkerchief, noticing the look of concern both children gave her.

''Besides, I'll always be in here.'' She said and placed a finger on both their hearts.

Meeting the eyes of her nurse she nodded, she watched as they protested to leave her until she sent them both a small smile. Closing her eyes she prayed to God to be able to give her children all the strength required to face the cruel world, to take care of them, and protect them. She prayed that they would be together, side-by-side, taking care of the only family they had left beside their father.

Once upon a time, there lived a young woman with bright red hair and hazel eyes. Blessed with the natural beauty of freckles, and a dazzling smile who, now rests in peace.