8 letters. (SSC)

A/N= This short story was another one of the stories I had entered for a short story competition but sadly got nowhere with it.

Those eight letters, three words, one meaning.

I watched from the shadows as you embraced her, arms secured around her waist, peppering her forehead with kisses, showering her with warmth, a side of you I'd never seen before came alive entirely before my eyes.

Tears pricked the edges of my eyes begging to be released but never given the satisfaction of falling, my ears perked up at the sound of your laughter bouncing off the walls and finally reaching my sound range. Envy, the feeling of resentful longing or want of someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck was the best word to describe exactly how I felt in that moment, watching him embrace someone else, someone who wasn't me, looking at her the way I had longed to be looked at by him.

Plop, a droplet of water dismisses my thoughts as it starts to rain and you head inside the shop with a small but beautiful smile gracing your face; one that would send me weak on my knees for you. Shaking my head I turn around no longer in the range of you and her as I walk away from the scene with one thought in my mind; the thought that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

I love you but I guess you never knew and with that, I lost you.