Chapter 4: From Scarer to MIFTer

Tylor went in and watched the orientation video.

"This is Monsters, Incorporated, where we scare because we care," the screen began.

"Actually, we don't scare anymore. Now we're laugh power. Sorry about that," Mr. Crummyham corrected.

"Every day on each of our state-of-the-art Scare Floors..." the screen replied.

"Laugh Floors," Mr. Crummyham stated.

"...our elite team of Scarers..." the screen said.

"Jokesters," Mr. Crummyham remarked.

"...help support the mission of our esteemed CEO's..." the screen continued.

"No longer esteemed," Mr. Crummyham informed, imitated slitting Waternoose's throat, then said, "Headed off to the big house."

"...mission, to create scare energy..." the screen went on.

"Laugh," Mr. Crummyham mentioned.

"...and scare power..." the screen replied.

"Laugh," Mr. Crummyham said.

"...by scaring..." the screen continued.

"Laughing! You know, forget it. Let's just move on," Mr. Crummyham stated.

Tylor couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Wait a minute. You're saying you're no longer hiring Scarers?" Tylor asked.

Mr. Crummyham then brought him into his office.

"What skills do you have besides scaring? With those horns, maybe you could be a hat rack," Mr. Crummyham suggested.

"No, I...That's..." Tylor started.

"Yeah, too tall," Mr. Crummyham mentioned.

"No, I don't wanna be a hat rack," Tylor objected.

"Plus, you could only hold two hats. It's impractical," Mr. Crummyham pointed out.

"That's not..." Tylor said.

"Umbrella hanger?" Mr. Crummyham guessed.

"Is this a joke?" Tylor questioned.

"Would you say you could hang forty umbrellas up there?" Mr. Crummyham asked.

"Is this a prank?" Tylor wondered.

"This is not a laughing matter. Or, rather, it is a laughing matter," Mr. Crummyham told him.

"My folks scrimped and saved, working in our family hardware store so that I could go to the School of Scaring," Tylor explained as he grabbed the books.

"You said your parents own a hardware store?" Mr. Crummyham asked.

"Yeah, but that's not the..." Tylor answered.

"Perfect! Report to MIFT," Mr. Crummyham remarked.

Tylor then went to a sign to see where he needed to go.

"Door division...Control Room A-L...I don't see MIFT," Tylor said.

Then a yellow and orange furry monster pulled up in a car then gasped excitedly at seeing him before an awkward silence took place.

"Uh..." he started.

"Tylor?" she wondered.

"Uh..." Tylor said.

"Tylor Tuskmon, right? Am I right? Those horns, dead giveaway, 'cause they're so..." the female monster remarked.

"Yes. Sorry. Do I, uh..." he wondered.

"Val Little. Monsters University. Freshman year. We had that Origins of Fear class together. Yawn," she introduced.

"Origins..." Tylor started.

"Yawn," Val interrupted.

"Yeah, I guess, it was just such a large class. You work here? When did you graduate?" he wondered.

"College was an interesting detour. Too much of a commitment. Not really the whole regimented, stuffed-shirt, college-scene type of gal," she explained, gagged, then asked, "Well, what've you been up to?"

"Graduating from college," Tylor answered.

"Good for you!" Val said.

"Yeah, it's great," he nodded.

"Except for the loan debt, right? Ka-ching! For you it'd probably be like ka-ching, ka-ching!" she said, over exaggerating the "ka-chings" then added, doing the last one quietly, "'Cause you graduated. For me it was like ka-ching."

"And the fact that this place is no longer hiring Scarers. I mean, I got this letter saying that I was gonna be a Scarer, but now they've assigned me to, what... MIFT?" Tylor explained.

"'MIFT'?" Val asked, gasped slowly, then said, "That's where I work! Hop in, I'll take you!"

Tylor figured he'd give it a try, so he hopped into the car and they were off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Definitely not what he expected.