20| Unusual Companions

❦︎

Aria came out of her car and looked around. The destination chosen by Anna was one of the most expensive shopping places in the city where Aria often came.

There was still no trace of her companion, so she leaned against her car and folded her hands across her chest. Her bodyguards sat on another car a little far as per her request, watching her surroundings.

Her mood was already sour because of the act Abigor pulled.

I shouldn't have told him about this in the first place

She blamed herself for speaking more than usual and for slipping out important matters.

The hot breeze blew as Aria frowned in frustration. Anna was late or maybe she wasn't coming at all. Would Anna go as far as to shame Aria?

Aria's gaze roamed around the high-end shops and many people dressed fashionably. Some chatted along while some laughed and boasted about their wealth.

Her gaze fell on the back of a woman with pale pink hair and a navy blue double-breasted overcoat. She was standing away from all the chaos, staring peacefully inside the shop through the huge windows.

A screech of car pulled Aria out from her daze as she turned her head towards the side to see a red tacky sports car stopping beside her Audi.

"Finally here?" Aria said quite annoyed at Anna's lateness when she saw her getting off the car elegantly in a similar blood-red dress.

"I apologize" Anna walked up to Aria and gave out a fake smile "but I was ready on time, it were my companions who took their time getting ready"

"Companions?" Aria thought as she looked back at the car to see the door opening from the other side as the heels clicked on the cemented road.

Aria gritted her teeth in annoyance when the auburn strand of hair came into her view and the woman turned around to look at them with delight.

"My mother invited herself" Anna whispered beside Aria in a grim voice as Aria rolled her eyes.

"Oh, my future daughter-in-law!" Layla, Abigor's and Anna's mother, said as Aria shook her head and sighed before giving out a huge pseudo smile.

"You cannot be more wrong Mrs Hayes" Aria said as she and Layla hugged each other.

Layla frowned and waved her hands in dismissal "Whatever that means" she discarded while smiling widely and staring at Aria "I missed you so much!"

Aria nodded formally, but their small talk was interrupted when she noticed a small figure beside Layla. A young boy with stunning blue eyes and golden hair, standing in a suit in attention.

Was he standing here all this time?

Aria crouched down in front of him and extended her hand "I'm Aria and who might you be, young man?"

She said with a small but genuine smile. Aria always had a soft spot for kids.

The kids blue eyes first peered up at Anna and when she nodded, he extended his hands to reach Aria's "I'm Jacob Buterin. Son of Ethan Buterin and Anna Hayes Buterin"

Aria's heart fluttered in love at the well mannered small boy as he retrieved his hand back and straightened up again.

"Such a well behaved kid you have Anna" Aria remarked as she stood up and they started walking towards the store they wanted to shop at.

"You have my thanks, but I don't think I deserve it because it is all forced" Anna said looking ahead and holding Jacob's small hands in her "in my opinion, it is quite peculiar for a 6-year-old to be this mature"