09| Regret

❦︎

"So, how does it feel to get used?"

Aria looked beside her to see Anna standing while looking ahead as people chatted among themselves.

"What do you mean?" Aria asked while sipping on her wine.

"Abigor used you" Anna said as she turned her head and looked straight at Aria "to break off his engagement"

Aria sighed and looked ahead again. Abigor stood at a distance chatting with his father about something seriously, every once in a while he would turn to take a glance at her and give her his infamous smirk.

"I don't care" Aria commented.

"It isn't new for him to use people you know" Anna's voice took a sadder tone, as her gaze casted down "he uses people and discards them like clothes"

Aria frowned. Of course she knew that the man was cunning but hearing the same from his own sister, made her curious "Do you not like him?"

Anna looked up again as her lips puckered out, she twirled her dark strands of hair "He's not my favourite person on earth, that's for sure"

"Why?" Aria asked, grimacing her question immediately because she sounded like a desperate person who wanted to pry on family matters "If you don't mind telling me, of course" she added immediately.

Anna smirked, the image of Abigor smirking flashed in front of Aria for a split second.

They were siblings, alright.

"How would you like when someone snatches an opportunity right from your hands?" Anna asked as Aria tilted her head in confusion.

"I'll be mad?" she answered, not sure.

"That's what happened to me for being an obedient, hardworking daughter in this family" regret dripped from her voice as Anna continued.

"Years of training to become the next leader. Even as a child I trained hard just to succeed my father" the memory of her practising karate and learning to handle the gun came rushing back.

"All that I did was taken away when Abigor was born. A boy" she gritted her teeth "My father snatched that opportunity from me, without even asking me and gave it to Abigor. And I was left to strengthen Mafia bonds, get married to an ally and give birth to sons"

Anna looked at Aria's sympathetic eyes "that's what it means to be a girl in this family, Aria. No matter how hard you work, they'll always push you down"

"Why didn't you try to run away?" Aria asked in a low voice as her eyes locked with Abigor's sharp ones. He frowned when he saw his sister and Aria talking fondly. Like friends.

"Run away?" Anna scoffed "Where? When the whole nation is owned by him and now my brother"

A moment of silence followed as they both stared at Abigor and his father talking.

"Your father didn't ask Abigor too right?" Aria said as Anna looked at her a little annoyed and confused at the same time.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"He was just as forced into this as you were" Aria continued with a sigh "being told from the day he was born that he had to work hard and inherit all this, would have been a huge burden. I cannot even imagine"

"That's right, you cannot imagine" Anna snarled at her.

Aria rolled her eyes, temper was something that ran in the family along with good genes apparently "Now don't get me wrong, I know what happened to you was probably the worst thing."