14| Wounds

❦︎

Aria sat still as she heard the front door opening and then closing.

"Sis you know what Karl said today. . ." she heard Kahlil's excited voice along with his approaching footsteps towards her room.

She wanted to wipe her tears and hide somewhere so that he couldn't see her in this state. But no matter how much she tried, she couldn't move. Her whole body suddenly felt too heavy for herself.

". . .you know, he said-"

His sentence was cut off as he opened the door and gasped. His eyes widened as he saw her tear-stained face and then her bloodied hands, with her holding that hairpiece.

"A-Aria" he stuttered in horror as he ran towards her and kneeled in front of her. She was awfully silent today, he noted. But he couldn't understand why, because she was fine just a few hours ago.

Realization hit him "Did that Abigor do something?" he said with clenched jaw as anger curled up hot and burning inside of him.

Silence.

"Sis, say something" he asked, worried this time as he saw the broken glass shards poking from her hands and then he noticed the broken mirror.

"D-Did you..?" he asked, horrified even at the thought.

Silence.

He quickly ran inside the washroom and grabbed the first-aid box and went back to her. He tried to grab the hairpiece from her hand, to bandage her hands, but she grunted and pulled away with a frown.

"Sis please, I need to dress your wounds"

A single teardrop escaped her eyes in reply as his heart pained looking at her condition. It had been a while since he last saw her like this.

"Please" he insisted.

Her grip loosened around the hairpiece as she finally let it go. He carefully picked up the blood-stained ornament and set it aside.

He stood up and gently grabbed her shoulders. He made her sit on the edge of the bed and she sat, just like a lifeless doll. He kneeled down again, taking her hands in his. His eyes welled up and his throat tightened as he carefully took out the pieces of glass from her hand.

Blood rushed out and he instantly pressed the cotton dabbed with antiseptic, she didn't even flinch. Usually, she'd throw a fit and refuse to apply medication but she'd never just sit there motionless.

"Sis" he grimaced as he blew on her wounds.

A gentle hand on top of his head surprised him as he flinched and looked up at her. She caressed his face with her uninjured hand and sniffled on her tears.

"I want to go to the orphanage, Kahlil" she whispered as he looked at her with wide eyes.

She never made a request to go to the orphanage unless something terrible had happened or something had triggered her memories.

"Ok" he whispered "We'll go after I dress your wounds"

• • •

"You ready?"

Kahlil asked as he saw his sister exiting her room in an oversized hoodie with the hood on and dark blue skinny jeans. She wore a mask and sunglasses to cover the rest of her face with her bandaged right hand.

Reporters were not what they wanted right now. Or ever, for that matter.

She nodded and picked up her purse, walking towards the door. Kahlil watched all this with furrowed brows and worried eyes.