15| Blue Bird

❦︎

"Are you sure you are okay?"

Kahlil asked Aria who sat facing the window, barely looking at him. After Karl had dragged him downstairs, Aria came running back a few minutes later and sat inside the car without a word.

They were currently in the car after buying tons of gifts for the children in the orphanage.

She sighed and nodded "Abigor just doesn't leave me alone"

Kahlil gritted his teeth "Do you want me to take care of it?"

Aria scoffed and finally turned to look at him with raised eyebrows "And get you killed? No thanks"

Kahlil sighed defeatedly and shook his head in disbelief "You know I'd die for you sis"

A small smile surfaced on her face as she turned to look at him with soft eyes "I know" she mumbled before continuing "but I won't let you"

● ● ●

"Aria! It's been a while!"

The headmistress of the orphanage came running down the stairs as Aria and Kahlil exited their car and watched the elderly woman rushing towards them with a huge smile.

"Hello Mrs Dias" Aria said formally, it didn't matter to her that she grew up in this orphanage as Mrs Dias the only mother figure.

Mrs Dias hugged her tightly, finally reaching her, as Aria hugged back and rubbed her back. She was a short, plump lady who loved giving out hugs.

"Um, I'm here too you know!" Kahlil interjected.

Mrs Dias pulled away and playfully glared at the young boy "I'm still angry at you for leaving the orphanage so soon! If Aria wasn't the one taking care of you, I would have dragged you back here"

"She isn't taking care of me! I am taking care of her. I'm a man after all" Kahlil said while gripping the old woman and hugging her tightly.

Mrs Dias laughed and kissed the side of his face "Sure, little butterfly"

Kahlil cringed at the nickname she had given him the childhood "Don't call me that! I'm 19 now"

"You'll always be a kid to just like Aria" Mrs Dias replied while pulling away and turning to the side, hoping to find Aria still standing there.

But she was nowhere to be found. Their bodyguards had started unloading the gifts they had brought for the kids as one of them stopped to look at them while carrying a huge teddy bear.

"Ms Leighton said, she's going on ahead to meet the kids" he said and climbed the stairs which lead inside the orphanage.

Mrs Dias furrowed her brows. Sure, Aria was always a little cold to everyone and most of the time kept to herself, but she had never been cold to her. Aria would always smile when they met.

"Is something wrong?"

She asked Kahlil as they ascended the stairs. Kahlil shook his head defeatedly and looked down in sadness "She was crying in her room this morning and demanded we go to the orphanage today"