19| Invitation

❦︎

"Where were you last night?"

Aria looked up from the newspaper at Kahlil question. Kahlil turned a questioning brow at her when she didn't reply while plating the pancakes.

"Fucking Karl"

Aria replied nonchalantly as Kahlil scoffed and rolled his eyes "That's impossible, because yesterday. . ."

He trailed off as Aria's eyebrows raised up when she noticed his cheeks turning into a light scarlet shade.

She smirked "Yesterday?"

He coughed and turned away, putting syrup on the pancakes "Anyway, we were talking about you!"

"But I'd like to talk about you" Aria said emotionlessly while turning the page of the newspaper, enjoying seeing him getting flustered.

"Sis!" he whined putting her plate in front of her and scrunching up his brows.

Aria gulped down a chuckle at his expression "You don't ask me about yesterday and I don't ask you about yesterday, deal?"

He nodded hesitantly while taking a bite from his plate. Just then Aria's phone lit up, indicating that she received a message.

She picked up her phone and saw that it was an unknown number.

Unknown: It's me Anna, Abigor's sister. Me and Jacob, my son, are thinking about going shopping in the marketplace. Care to join?

Her brows furrowed as confusion and suspicion started bubbling up inside her. Her lower lip between her teeth and her one hand under her chin, she contemplated the pros and cons of the situation.

"Any problem?" Kahlil asked as Aria looked up at him in a start.

"No" she shrugged her shoulder and took a bite of the pancakes. Her face scrunched up in distaste when she noticed the lacking of syrup.

"I told you, I like more syrup in my pancakes" she complained as Kahlil glared at her.

"Then make them yourself, I make breakfast daily and still you have the nerve to complain!"

"Jeez sorry" she rolled her eyes.

The doorbell buzzed loudly as both Aria and Kahlil sighed, knowing all too well as to who could have been here this early.

Kahlil walked towards the door as Aria stayed rooted at her spot, her heart beating rapidly. She remembered how shamelessly she laid on his lap yesterday in public and how she sacrificed her pride.

"Oy little brat, get lost. I brought the toy"

She heard Abigor's annoyed voice before Kahlil's laughter of delight resonated, surely the toy Abigor was referring to, was Karl.

"SIS I'LL BE BACK IN A BIT!" Kahlil shouted from the door, to which Aria didn't bother to reply. She was way too embarrassed to even open her mouth.

Next, she heard the door getting shut as silent footsteps started towards the kitchen. She ignored the painful throbbing of her chest as she gulped down and stood up to grab the maple syrup from the table, trying to look busy.