twenty-nine »

"Are you ready?"

"Yes, let's do this."

It was a week later and the tour had already started, aka the right time for them to end Simon Cowell. The boys were backstage, still trying to figure out how everything is about to go down.

"Okay so we'll go on stage and..." Harry continued before getting cut off by Zayn's phone ringing.

He frowned at the device. "I need to get this, I'll be back."

They all nodded as he walked away from the group, soon picking up the call. "Hi, mom."

"Hey sweetie." Trisha replied with a smile. "How have you been?"

Ever since what happened in Bradford, things between Zayn and his family have been... awkward, to say the least. However, he tried as hard as possible to not make it so obvious to his mother and sisters, because they've been nothing but supportive of him.

His father was the only problem, really.

"I'm fine, going on stage in a few minutes." He replied. "And you?"

"I'm good, and that's great honey!" She stated excitedly. "I'm so proud of you, best of luck."

He smiled wildly. "Thank you, mom." He took a deep breath. "So, what's up?"

"Oh um-" She stuttered.

"It's about dad, isn't it?"

"Yes." She replied shyly which made Zayn roll his eyes. "Look sweetie even though you and him are in bad terms right now, I'm sure he truly appreciates what you've done. Also, it was very kind of you to go through with this even after how he treated you and Niall. So, on his behalf, thank you."

He frowned. "What are you thanking me for? What did I do?"

"For the money?" She replied in a confused tone.

"What money?"

"What do you mean 'what money'? The one for your father's heart surgery!" She explained.

"What?!" He asked in shock. "Dad needs a heart surgery?! Why?!"

"Are you playing with me right now?" She asked, unsure. "Someone sent your father money a few days after you left, just enough for him to do it. We thought it was weird too since he said that he didn't say anything to you, but we didn't look into it much since he needed the money as soon as possible."

Zayn massaged his forehead gently, trying to take all of what his mother said in.

"If it wasn't you..." She started. "Then who was it?"

"I don't know and this is not really what I am worried about right now." He replied. "How is he? How did it go? Is he okay?"

"It went well." She smiled, which made Zayn sigh out of relief. "And yes, he is okay. He just needs to rest."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought you knew already, plus I found all of this out just yesterday. He kept it a secret because he did not want to worry us."

"Zayn?"

He turned around to see his bandmate.

"Are you okay?" Liam asked, as he quickly noticed worry written all over Malik's face.

Z nodded at him. "Um- I'll have to call you back, mom. Tell dad that I'm glad he's okay, would you?"

"Sure honey, say hi to Liam and the others from me."