Chapter 50 - He Knew Right?

3rd Person POV

3rd Person POV.

On the Last Day of School

Following Cedric's death, the usual feast is replaced with the memorial service to Cedric Diggory for students, visitors and staff. In honour of Cedric, the drapes are black and the magically enchanted roof that usually appears as a night sky with light is no longer in sight.

Students and staff, who are normally eating and talking loudly are instead sitting quietly, not touching food. All the teachers and students sit in the Hall. Dumbledore breaks the silence by speaking and raising his Goblet in memory and respect of Cedric. All students of all houses and schools followed this sign of respect.

Everyone is in the Great Hall. Listening to Dumbledore about to make his speech. "The end," said Dumbledore, looking around at them all, "of another year."

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

They did it, all of them; the benches scraped as everyone in the Hall stood, and raised their goblets, and echoed, in one loud, low, rumbling voice, "Cedric Diggory."

Cho Chang silently cries, tears falling down her face. They all sit down again. They begin to stare at Malia and whisper. Malia didn't care, but she did notice.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff House," Dumbledore continued. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort." Whispers sweep the Great Hall. People stare at Dumbledore in disbelief, in horror. He looks calm as he watches them mutter themselves into silence.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore continues, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so — either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," Dumbledore went on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."

A kind of ripple crossed the Great Hall as a few heads turned in Harry'sdirection before flicking back to face Dumbledore. "Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," Dumbledore adds.

"He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him."