Chapter 44 - Your Secrets Out

3rd Person POV

3rd Person POV.

Malia sits in the bed next to Ryan. She couldn't sleep. Not with everything going on. Angelique, the ball, her Dad and now an answer to Ryan's question. Ryan begins to wake up, "What's wrong?" Malia asks.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay. Must have been scary what happened tonight." Ryan adds.

"When I saw you... lying there. Pale, barely breathing. I just... I didn't want to lose you, and I thought I was and... that feeling." she continues.

"We're friends. Of course, you feel that way." Ryan adds.

"What if... What if it's more than that?" Malia asks.

"I think it's confusing and if you need more time to think then you should." Ryan explains.

"But, it was more than that. It was like... it was like if everyone saw their worst fears, I was living mine." Malia replies.

"... Do you really mean that?" Ryan asks.

"Yeah..." she nods.

"I would love for you to be my girlfriend. But, because you're confused. And considering everyone almost died. We can take our time. Besides, there's no need to rush things right."

"Right. I just don't want you to get your hopes up. I really don't know. How I feel about you? You could be right, maybe it's because you're my best friend."

"I understand." Ryan says.

She wish she could ask someone, but Rosalie was weird and she didn't have any other girl friends. She thinks maybe this was something she just had to figure out on her own.

"Yeah. I've been thinking a lot about it all night really." Malia smiles. "I just. We don't make sense." she admits.

"And why is that?" Ryan smiles.

 "It's just so... complicated and hard. What if we stop being friends? Or I end up hating you or you hate me?"

"You forget, I like a challenge." Ryan smirks.

"You're not funny." Malia glares at him.

"You can be funny for both of us. We'll balance each other out." Ryan adds.

"You really think so?" Malia asks.

"Definitely. But I think you're missing the most important question." Ryan says.

"What?" Malia asks.

"Why do I like you?" Ryan answers.

"Why... do you like me?" Malia asks. "I'm nothing special. As you said. I'm challenging."

"I really wish you could see how special you are to people. Especially to me. You're unique, you're inspiring. I like that we're different. I like that we don't make sense. I like that when I'm around you, I want to do more than study or read a book with a fascinating footnote. I want to hear about your day. I want to know about your favourite hair products and your bizarre family." Ryan confesses.