Chapter 26

Kadens pov.

BUT HEATHER, HEATHER WAS SOMETHING ELSE. I couldn't allow myself to love her knowing it would make her a target. She deserves someone who could be there for her, without endangering her. She didn't deserve a life where she couldn't walk in the street at night scared of who might want to kill her. I'm certain she would be able to protect herself, but that didn't mean she was prepared for my world. I'm the most wanted person in the criminal world. Most smaller gangs would like to see my head on a silver plate. My mafia was in the lead at the moment. That means I'm careful. Careful who I trust and careful who I let close to me.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she got hurt or killed. I simply need to let her go. That should be easy, I've done it several times.

We had finished our ice cream and laughed at something each other said. I felt young again. The kind of young where you didn't know the meaning of responsibilities, but simply followed your dreams and what you liked to do.

Of course, when I was younger I had to be careful as well. But it wasn't the same. My dad had the mafia in the palm of his hand and we were below some other. So people weren't as angry with us. My dad always had someone to watch me from a distance. That I learned when I got older. When I took over, I had to get used to the new circumstances. Everyone in the underworld knew I was the inheritor of the gang. Nobody questioned it. They only questioned who I was. No one knew who I was. They only knew my reputation and it wasn't pretty. Andrew and Mateo had said no to our father's offer to take over the company. So I was the last one. I enjoyed the power and fear. I loved to fight and was the most feared fighter in the fight club until the black widow came and took my status.

When they saw his heir, people feared the war I'd start. I started it all. I spilled a lot of unloyal men's blood on the floor and a lot of other gangs or leading mafia's who wouldn't listen. Which is why being with me would endanger her.

It has been a while since I've been happy. I wanted to enjoy this moment for as long as it lasts. I was scared it might disappear or be a dream. My heart blossomed when the last thing I saw before closing my eyes enjoying the moment was her huge smile. Knowing I was this happy for a moment and it would make me happy with every thought. Was enough.

I looked out the window seeing we went away from the main road onto a smaller road. My mind went to her comment earlier on. Which gave me an idea. "Am I going to die?" I faked a shocked expression and her laughter filled the car. Everything about her was angelic. I couldn't stop smiling at the way her lips stretched out revealing her straight teeth.

She glanced my way and told me to close my eyes which made me send her a skeptical glance. Not that I don't trust her. But the timing was simply wrong. She chuckled and said, "Just do it fool".

She walked out of the car and helped me out. We walked for about three minutes before she told me to let go of the blindfold. I took it off and looked out at where she had taken me.

Her memory I painted for her. The field that was dear to her. She took me to the sunflower field. What would that mean?

I glanced down at her and her eyes were filled with memories. She wasn't next to me at the moment. She was in another world reliving every single one of them. Her eyes were filled with tears and my heart clenched. This place brought back a lot of memories. I pulled her into a hug and shushed as she burst out in tears. She chuckled in between and told me it was stupid. That so many years later she would still cry like the little girl she once was. I glanced around and kissed the top of her head. I told her some things to stick and they take more than just a few years to get over.

This is right here. I would burn down the world if someone hurt her. If anyone touched a strand of hair on her head they would burn to death. They would've wished they never existed. I might be the villain of a fairytale, but if that meant that she would be mine and safe. I would choose to be the villain any day over the hero.