Chapter 2

I DECIDED TO WALK AROUND THE SCHOOL FOR SOME TIME. The principal knew about Mr. Wyatt's hatred towards me and simply started to stop caring about every little notification he reported to her.

The lunch break was only minutes away anyhow, so it would be a waste of everyone's time if I went there, a waste of the secretaries lunch break, the principal's lunch break, and my own and why would anyone want to miss out on their lunch?

The bell rang with its loud metallic sound. Soon followed Freshmen, juniors, and seniors entering the hallways straight headed towards the lunch area. If you arrived first, you could get the best tables in the room. Even though a lot of nobodies as people called the ones who didn't have a reputation around the school would be asked to move when they occupied a popular table.

So it didn't matter if you arrived first. When people saw you as a ghost haunting the halls they didn't care about you. Something newbies to the school learned pretty fast when they interfered with the plastic trash bags.

There was gossip about it all week long about how a freshman tried to sit at their table. Ridiculous, to be fair. Like who cares, but people don't have better things to do at this high school.

When I arrived at my usual table the others were already gathered around the round metal table and sat snickering about the latest drama. I tugged in between Caleb and Jason and questioned what was going on.

They laughed and explained how another freshman had mistaken the popular table again and how Melissa and Avery had gone psychotic on the poor girl until nobody had interfered. A nerd, everyone said. Nathan Lockwood. One of the shy guys, not only shy but his family was supposed to be quite wealthy. That was gossip, so it could be exaggerated a lot.

After thirty minutes passed, the headache came back and I wasn't in the mood to fulfill my day, even though I only had one class so far. I aired an idea for the guys and girl, we were outnumbered in this group, but that's alright.

"Anyone who would like to go for some ice cream? And simply say ''buh bye school?"

They all shared a few torn glances around the table before a simple agreement fell above them.

"Sure"

"Definitely"

"let's go"

I took my last bite of the dull chicken salsa sandwich they served today. It wasn't great today, the bread was slightly wet by what I didn't want to know.

We went out of the cafeteria and walked down the empty hallways. Headed for the exit. 

Our livid talking stopped when Caleb pinpointed a teacher coming our way. The different classes had already started. So we all would need an excuse for why we were walking the hallways when we should be in class.

The teacher's expression changed from a solid happy smile to a confused and questionable expression, which is understandable considering she was looking at a group of five walking together headed towards one of the exit points.

Her voice filled out the silence with a question that searched for clarification. A question I was a master in slipping beneath.

"What are you five doing out here? Don't you have class? I know you have class. So there better be a good explanation for this" Her voice had a high pitch sound to it. A pitch that would scare animals off if they heard it. Such a pitch that makes your headache worse. She was an elder woman, who had been nominated by a lot of seniors last year as the sweetest and oldest teacher here. No offense towards her age, but she had worked at this school for thirty years by now. So a lot of students found her quite fascinating or so the rumors said.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Elizabeth, we happened to meet in the hallway and fell into the same pace and talk. Aubrey and I were headed towards the lady's bathroom if you'll excuse us. "I replied sweetly, to which she frankly smiled and said "go, go darling. Don't let me hold you back."

The rest of them stood there lost. Trying to find an explainable excuse to use as well.

Caleb soon followed my lead and explained to her that Grayson and he came from Mr. Pile's class and that he had forgotten to print some copies of the test he wanted for today. So he assigned them to do so. She wasn't hard to fool as she was in her late sixties and a tad deaf on her left ear. She sent Grayson and Caleb off to the printing room, which originally was the other way. But she didn't seem to notice.

I wasn't able to hear Jason's excuse, because by the time I heard the start of his sentence we entered the bathroom and the sound of his voice vanished.

We met up with the guys after a few minutes to make sure she had gone away to whatever class she had now. We chuckled as we saw each other and went out of the school and towards the school parking lot.

As we reached the ice cream store Caleb let out an exciting sound that had the group breaking out in laughter. We parked our cars in the small parking lot of the ice cream store. We went inside and the workers gave us our usual order which we paid for and found a table.

This ice cream store was very lowkey, quite cute. Dimmed light, if you came Friday you were also able to sing karaoke. The walls had a dark light violet brim followed by a white. They had renovated it last year and made it more rustic than when they bought it where it had rainbows and sunshine.

It had a much more sense of home feeling now than before. It just seemed too happy before.

As I zoned back to the conversation we were on the topic of the latest gossip again, when Melissa the queen bee walked towards us. Jason faked a puking sound and we all laughed as we continued our conversation.

"Hello there, didn't expect to see you guys. Aren't you supposed to be in school?" Melissa said sarcastically in an attempt to mock me at the end of her sentence.

I chuckled and said, "When you're talking about the trash."

The others began laughing, as Melissa frustratedly strutted away.

"Bye love," I said. She scoffed while she walked back towards her group of trash. Her high heels clicked every step she took, echoing in the ice-cream store. Our gaze followed her as she walked out with the rest of them huffing and puffing about being corrected.

An hour had passed since the incident with Melissa and we decided it was time to go home. So we said goodbye and made our way out. Because Aubrey had borrowed Caleb's car, we had to walk. Not that I mind. Sometimes I simply enjoy the fresh air. 

———
(Edited 13/01/22)

Thanks for reading!

Remember to comment, share and vote! Thank you.