Chapter 27

Heathers pov.

HIS COMMENT MADE ME LAUGH. Something about him was different. I couldn't tell what. We had been driving from the froyo store and I wanted to show him my favorite place. I had taken a right onto a narrow sand road. This road has never been fixed. There were a lot of holes making the car bump whenever I didn't miss them.
I had told him to close his eyes and he joked if it was safe now. I assured him I wouldn't cause any damage to his princess's body. We laughed as he closed his eyes. The car came to a stop and my most precious memories came to life.
I went out and helped him out of the car, we walked a bit reaching the field when I told him to take off the blindfold.
He looked out over the sunflower field with a resting smile. His focus went to me, checking if I was alright. A small smile played on my lips as all of my past memories here played in front of my eyes. Something about this place will forever be magical. He turned my head to make me look at him. I sent him a lazy smile as he removed the tears from my cheek with his thumb. His eyes fell to my lips and then back to my eyes searching for permission. My small nod was enough for his hands to grab my waist and close all the space between us. His lips found mine and I instantly replied. His tongue licked my bottom lips asking for permission. I opened my mouth slightly, making an entrance for the kiss to deepen. My hands found his ruffled hair and I could feel the burning heat from where his hands had just been. He bit my bottom lips causing us to break the kiss with laughter.
I tiptoed up and quickly kissed his lip knowing it was maybe the last time and ran out into the sunflowers.
I glanced back with a smile watching him following my lead. Running through the field gave a feeling of freedom. I kept running until I reached their tombstones. I stood watching their names spelled out on the small heart formed granite stone. I watched their tombstones and it felt like it was the first time I was here.
He came up behind me and watched this place peacefully comforting me. He didn't say a word. I wasn't ready to give the thought that they had left this world and weren't coming back. The reality it held. Tears had left my eyes and he asked if it was my grandparents. I only nodded, not able to find my voice.
I leaned into his touch, finding it safer. I placed my head on his broad chest, making small sniffles here and there, not able to control it.
We had found a spot a little out of the sunflower field where we had settled and watched the sunset. Something about this moment needed to be cherished. I didn't want this moment to end. Something was up, that much I knew. He was debating and this might be our last moment together.
As we reached my house I went inside yelling 'Mother I'm home' she mocked me saying that she'd loved my polite side and that I should try to show it when I wasn't at home.
Hamilton had shown downstairs just in time and They shared a laugh. He stood ready to leave for college with his backs packed. He kissed my forehead and told me he would see me soon. I grabbed him and took him into a tight hug not wanting to let go. "I'm going to miss you" the words I mumbled into his chest. When we broke up the laughter the dork ruined the moment saying it was kind of funny.
I dashed him over the head. Which resulted in us laying on the ground. He had control of my hands and I really wanted to do more, but Kaden stood with a calm smile watching. I had Aubrey's words repeating in my mind. "Don't blow your cover".
I called my mother and told her she was annoyed. She had entered the room and told us to split apart.

I stuck out my tongue at him and he chuckled when he waved goodbye and went out the front door.
Kaden and I stood talking for a bit afterward. He kissed my lips once more. I realized this might've been the last time I would feel heaven. His eyes on our way home had seemed distant as if he was making a hard choice.
After the kiss my eyes fell to his and they held a sad glance. I told him it was getting late and that his mother would start worrying. Even though I wanted to say; "Please stay and hold me through the night".
We stared at each other before he nodded agreeing to my words. I wondered if this was the end to something great. Something great that didn't even get a chance to start and blossom.
I looked him in the eyes and said my last words to him before he left for real.
"Goodbye Kaden" a goodbye that held sadness. Because this felt like the end.
As he walked down our front porch and further down the street. My mother arrived next to me saying "he is a good boy, love. He would've been a keeper" I looked at her and nodded "I know..." I agreed with a little sadness behind the words.
She knew. Of course, she knew. Her hands found my shoulders and we went to the sofa as she hugged me.
"There'll be plenty more. Sometimes a goodbye might not mean goodbye forever, love"
Her words played in my mind. Might not be forever. But that goodbye felt pretty permanent. I felt helpless. A feeling I wasn't used to. Something that scared me.
I explained to my mother what had happened the past few weeks about the vet Aubrey and I had made. I told her about the gang who had been rude towards the young boy and Kaden and the leaders' resemblance. How I found him familiar and I told her about the fight club.
Everything happened so fast. I was bound to get burned and look at me. I was burned. I was filled with an unknown feeling towards a guy who was a mystery to me.
She didn't say a word for a bit before she glanced at me and told me we were a crazy pair of kids. I chuckled and said that she made us. She nodded and told me about her own childhood. She had fought too. Finding the thrill I missed. I excused myself and went to my room. I dialed Aubrey's number, I needed a distraction from the world. She responded after it had ranged one time.  "Where's the fire, chicka." She asked me and I told her my place in five. She hung up and I sat on my bed and watched something on my phone as a message from an unknown number showed on my screen.
'Black widow is outnumbered isn't she' my face scrunched. Why would I be outnumbered? No one had beaten me yet. More importantly, how did they know who I was and how had they gotten my number?
Aubrey entered my room telling me my mother led her in. I showed her the message and her face changed. This can't be good. But I can't focus on that now.
Aubrey complained to me that I disturbed her movie session and I told her to grow up. She scowled at me. I laughed and told her about the eventful day I had.
I started with us visiting his family. I told her about the fact he had five brothers and one sister. I felt like leaving out the point about Nathan but went along.
I told her how one of his brothers made me choke on my spit. She watched me carefully.

---

(Edited 13-03-22)

Thank you for reading.
Remember to vote, comment and share.