XXII

"You trust the contact?" Cara asks taking out a blaster, examining it.

"Not particularly. He and I had a run-in last time we were there on some Guild business." Din says leaning against the wall.

"So why are we going?" she turns

"We don't have a choice. You saw what happened on Sorgan. They'll keep sending hunters. The kid will never be safe until the imp is dead."

"I hate it." you add "I really do. But we have to do what's best for him."

"And you guys are ok with bringing him back there?"

"Not really. That's why we're bringing you."

The ship rocks to the side and shakes, causing you all to loose your balance. You grab onto the ladder. "What tel hell." You all quickly climb up onto the cockpit and look to see the child messing with the controls. Din sighs and picks him up, handing him off to you, stabilizing the ship.

"And what do you think you're doing?" you set him down on a chair.

"We're gonna need someone to watch him." Cara says

"Yeah." you and Din agreed.

"Got anyone you can trust?"

"There's one.." you look at Din. He nods and sets course for Arvala-7.

-

When Din lands the ship he and Cara walk off and to Kuiil's farm. You told them you needed to check on something, as an excuse. They went inside to talk to Kuiil and you sit on the bed.

You sigh. You had to admit, you were nervous. You didn't like this idea. Not one bit. Most importantly, you were scared. Not for yourself, but for Din and the child. You didn't want to lose either of them. You had already lost so many people in the past. Getting attached was a problem. You knew this. But..it somehow happened again.

An old friend of yours had told you it's ok to care for people, but don't get too attached. You've always tried to live like that. But now, it's hard.

After a bit Din, Cara, Kuiil, and- an IG unit?-joined you back in the ship. Kuiil and Cara sat at a table with the child next to them. Din was about to take a seat when you stopped him.

"Can I talk to you?"

He turns to you and tilts his head "Of course."

You two walk back into another room away from everyone else.

"Din." you look up at him "I'm- this isn't a good idea."

"Listen it's gonna be ok-"

"No- I know i'm supposed to be tough and all that but I'm not. Not right now anyway. I don't want to lose you. Or the kid."

He touches your cheek "You're not gonna lose me."

"How do you know? Everyone I love seems
to-" you stop and take a breath realizing what you said "Everyone I love seems to get hurt."

"Rhia, I'll be ok." he nods "I promise." he pulls you into a hug.

You shut your eyes, which were watering and let out a shaky sigh.

"And for the record, I love you too."

You look up at him with a wide smile. He did love you.

-

Din was up in the cockpit flying the ship along with Kuiil, the droid, and the kid. Leaving you and Cara at the table.

"He really doesn't like droids huh." she laughs sitting at the table