XXI

It had been a little while since you left the hangar. You didn't exactly know where to go. Who knows how many people were looking for you. No idea where you'd be safe.

You walk in the cockpit from laying the child down for a nap, to see Din turning off a holo message. "What was that?"

"Greef Karga."

"I thought he was dead?" you walk up behind his chair

"Apparently not." he begins setting a course.

"Where are we going?" you run your arms a bit. It was surprisingly cold in the cockpit.

"Sorgan." he jumps the ship into hyperspace, then stands up, turning around to you.

"What's on Sorgan? Shouldn't we be going to Nevarro?"

"Cara is on Sorgan." he looks down at you

"What does Greef want that would make us need Cara?"

"He has a plan. To kill..the client that hired us." he tilts his head

"Oh..and we can trust him?"

"That i'm not sure yet." he notices you rubbing your arms again and still face. "What's wrong?" he puts his arms on your shoulders sliding them down your arms.

"Just a little cold." you shrug

He wraps his arms around you and pulls you into a hug. You rest your cheek against his chest. It was warm, surprisingly, based on the fact that it's metal. You stay like that for a moment, wishing you could stay forever, but Din pulls away.

"Where's the kid?"

"Sleeping, I put him down for a nap." you look up at him

"Good."

He takes your cheek in his hand and you smile, but your expression slowly drops as you look at the floor.

"What is it?"

"How do you know this is a good idea?" you look back at him

"I don't. But we have to try. It's the only way we could possibly let the kid have a good life. And you."

"And me? What do you mean?"

"You wouldn't be in this mess if i hadn't let you join me."

"It's not your fault. Besides..I want to be here. With the child. With you."

"Then we have to take this offer."

You nod "Ok."

Din stares down at you for a moment "Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did." you smirk

"You know what I mean."

"Ok yes."

"Can I..kiss you?"

A smile grows ok your face and you nod "Yes."

Din finds some cloth and ties it over your eyes and you wait as he takes off his helmet. He places it on the chair, then cups your face with his hands. You feel his lips press against yours. It was one of the best feelings. His hands move down to your waist and you wrap your arms around his neck.

Suddenly he pulls away and you hear the cockpit door open. Din slides his helmet back on then unties tote blindfold.

"What happen-" you look at the door to see the child standing there. You laugh "Did he see you?"

"I don't think so."

"How'd he even open the door?" you walk over and pick him up "Sneaky little womp rat."

Din watches as you pick him up and hold him in your arms. Smiling at him, poking his nose making him laugh. You look and notice him staring, and give him a smile. In the background you could see out the window. Sorgan had come into view.

"Looks like we're here."

Din lands the ship while you get your armor put on and blasters ready. Sorgan was peaceful, but after last time, who knows what could happen.

You find the same hut as the last time, where you stopped for food. Din thought Cara might still be there. Sure enough she was. When you walk inside you see her slam a guy across the floor. Very much Cara.

When the fight was over you caught her at the bar.

"Looking for some work?" Din approaches

-

"Seems like a straightforward operation. They're providing the plan and firepower, we're the snare." Din finishes explaining

"With the kid?" Cara asks leaning on the bar

"That's why I'm coming to you." Din nods

"I don't know. I've been advised to lay low. If anyone runs my chain code i'll rot in a cell for the rest of my life."

"Someone's after you?" you ask

"I thought you were a veteran." Din tilts his head

"I've been a lot of things since. Most of them carry a life sentence. If i so much book passage on a ship registered to the new republic I'll-"

Din cuts her off "I have a ship. I can bring you there and back with a handsome reward. You can live free if worry."

"I'm already free of worry. And i'm not in the mood to play soldier anymore. Especially fighting some local warlord."

"But he's not a warlord. He's Imperial."

Cara stares "I'm in."

-

You all make your way back to the ship, and settle up in the cockpit. Cara got to see the child again once the ship was up in the air. You take off your helmet and let out a breath, relaxing.

"Does your contact need to vet me?" Cara asks sitting down

"Doesn't know you're coming." Din says pressing a few buttons on the controls.

"Really? That can be a problem."

"It won't. But if it is, it's his problem." Din says then standing up.

Din leads Cara down from the cockpit to look at the weapons. You follow behind after setting the child into a seat.

"He's alright up there alone?" Cara asks

"Yeah." Din nods and opens the doors to the weapons "Pick one."