My Heart Is Broken

CHAPTER 63 - My Heart Is Broken

Samantha's POV

My heart was pounding hard and fast into my chest. I was walking in circles around my room. I couldn't believe I was about to do this. I breathed deeply trying to calm myself down.
I had been thinking about this for a while now since Beth and Eve locked themselves up in their room and the awkwardness between Sophia and I grew even more.

I woke up to an empty bed the morning after the wedding. I had a massive hangover at the time but still I all could think of was that Sophia had left me alone after I fell asleep. And I don't remember a word she said to me. I faintly remember the feeling of her fingers caressing my cheek but that was all.

We didn't talk at all after that night. At first, it was because everyone was freaking out about Eve's disappearance, including me. Sophia was helping Beth look for her and I was doing all I could to not have a nervous breakdown. I know that's pathetic but I couldn't help it.

Once Eve finally came back I thought Sophia and I would have a chance to talk about what happened that night. Oh, how wrong I was. Once again she started to ignore me. It was like that night never happened.

I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take her not even acknowledging me. Not now that I finally realized what was going on. There was no denying anymore. I was in love with the succubus.

I breathed deeply three times before finally turning towards the door and exiting my room. I went straight to the living room. Mary and Carolina were sitting at the sofa talking. Lately, they had been bonding. Mary had shown great interest in the arts of sorcery and necromancy.

Carol was glad to find someone to share her interests with, but that, of course, shortened the time that Mary and I spend together, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I actually liked the Necromancer, she was a little sarcastic but still kind and funny. Although I didn't spend much time with her.

Amitiel and Nyx were sitting at a small table playing chess. Ella was cuddled up in Mika's arm reading a book and Aino and Aleksi were watching TV. Now and then Aleksi's eyes drifted towards Mary and every time he did Aino would hit him with her elbow. She still hadn't gotten over the fact that Mary was a hunter. I couldn't exactly blame her. After all her whole clan was murdered by hunters.

I looked around looking for the one person I couldn't stop thinking about. And oh, surprise, surprise... she wasn't there. I walked towards the couch where Mary and Carol were sitting at.

"Hey, guys." I said once I was close enough for them to hear me. Both of them turned back and greeted me.

"Hey, Sam, what's up?" Mary asked with a goofy smile. I faintly smiled back and said.

"Nothing really, I was just looking for Sophia, have you guys seen her?" Mary frowned and Carol shook her head.

"Haven't seen her in a while actually. Maybe she's in her room." Carol said.

"Yes, she's in her room. I saw her earlier and she said she had a long night and needed to lie down." Ella said looking up from her book briefly before getting back to reading. I nodded and said a small thanks before heading out.

Ella's words bothered me a little. I didn't want to think about what she meant about how she 'had a long night,' although my mind would wander there against my will.

I shook my head and headed towards her room. My heart was beating heavily in my chest, my mind in havoc as I thought about what I was going to say. Every step I took brought me closer to my imminent doom.